How do flute waiting lists work?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

How do flute waiting lists work?

Post by eedbjp »

I understand that many makers have waiting lists for their flutes. Do they typically require a deposit, such as 50 percent? Who are some of the makers that have a wait? Are we talking a year or two?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
I.D.10-t

Re: How do flute waiting lists work?

Post by I.D.10-t »

This is going to be a crappy answer, but each maker seems a bit different. Best to talk to the makers.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
eedbjp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

I guess I was thinking of getting on list as a way to "get ready" to buy a dream flute. would have a chance to put some money down, have something to look forward to, and save for the remainder. I remember when my parents would save for something big at Sears Store as a "layaway", and it was a big deal to them to wait for a big item.

That's why I was curious. I've been in the 600-1000 dollar (us) range for ten years now, owning about five flutes in that range. Would love to have a flute in a higher range now that I'm playing a lot more. But it wasn't a crappy answer, and thanks for telling it like it is.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

I only have personal experience with one- Tom Aebi's. He wants a 20% deposit to get on the list. (about $1000 for an 8 key).
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Pat Olwell requires a deposit (20% IIRC) for his keyless flutes with about a one year wait. He doesn't take deposits for keyed flutes since the wait is so long. Peter Noy also takes a 20% deposit. Last I knew his wait was about a year and a half.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.