Emer Mayock

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Emer Mayock

Post by Cubitt »

I stumbled upon this lady (not literally!) the other day and find her to be the first flutist to intrigue me in some years. She also plays fiddle, uillean pipes and more. She composes most of the material she plays and I think she's quite something, but I've never before heard of her. Some well-kept secret or not pure-drop enough for the folks hereabouts?

I especially like her recording, Merry Bits of Timber.

http://www.celticdownloads.com/www/cata ... cts_id=132

http://www.emermayock.com/
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Emer Mayock

Post by Denny »

you don't remember this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1255&p=9004#p9004
ChrisLaughlin on Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:58 am wrote:I highly recommend digging into the old stuff, as well as checking out the albums that are self released or released on small labels in Ireland and never make it to the US, I've found that the Knotted Chord music shop http://www.knottedchord.com is an excellent choice for getting hard to find, authentic irish traditional music at a good price.
That said, my current top five are:
1) John Whynn (sp?) - Every Breath
2) Catherine McAvoy - Traditional Flute Music in the Sligo-Roscommon Style
3) Colm O'Donnel - Fairwell to the Evening Dances
4) Emer Mayock - Merry Bits of Timber
5) Paul McGratten - The Frost is all over

Of course, anything by Matt Molloy will always do. May I also recommend my favorite CD of recent years, The Mountain Road - Traditional Music From South Sligo, and it's acompanying tune book. Brilliant stuff!!!!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Denny wrote:you don't remember this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1255&p=9004#p9004
ChrisLaughlin on Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:58 am wrote:I highly recommend digging into the old stuff, as well as checking out the albums that are self released or released on small labels in Ireland and never make it to the US, I've found that the Knotted Chord music shop http://www.knottedchord.com is an excellent choice for getting hard to find, authentic irish traditional music at a good price.
That said, my current top five are:
1) John Whynn (sp?) - Every Breath
2) Catherine McAvoy - Traditional Flute Music in the Sligo-Roscommon Style
3) Colm O'Donnel - Fairwell to the Evening Dances
4) Emer Mayock - Merry Bits of Timber
5) Paul McGratten - The Frost is all over

Of course, anything by Matt Molloy will always do. May I also recommend my favorite CD of recent years, The Mountain Road - Traditional Music From South Sligo, and it's acompanying tune book. Brilliant stuff!!!!
I remember the thread, but I guess she was not isolated enough for me to take sufficient notice. So I finally caught up!
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

Emer Mayock, with Jean-Michel Veillon : http://source.pipers.ie/Gallery.aspx?id=198 . :thumbsup:
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Bran Ruz wrote:Emer Mayock, with Jean-Michel Veillon : http://source.pipers.ie/Gallery.aspx?id=198 . :thumbsup:
Wow! Kind of like Fluter's New Year's Eve, what?

They complement each other well, but I like best when they solo within a set.
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

Emer was scheduled to teach at Boxwood Festival in Nova Scotia this past summer, along with Sylvain Barou. She had to cancel at the last minute for health reasons. Adrianne Greenbaum stepped in to teach klezmer flute and for the first time in my years at Boxwood, we did not have a flute teacher from Ireland. Sylvain was wonderful, however, and Adrianne as effervescent as ever! There are hopes to have Emer come in 2012.
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You should also get her other solo album, "Playground". BTW, she used to play in Afro Celt Sound System (pipes, flute, whistle).

Quoting her bio from Boxwood (site is down, but I have it cached):
Emer Mayock is a musician and composer from Co. Mayo. She began to play traditional music during her childhood on a range of instruments including the Flute, Low Whistles, Fiddle and Uilleann Pipes. She has produced two CDs: 'Merry Bits of Timber' in 1996 and 'Playground' in 2001- the latter continuing her interest in writing new music and containing mostly her own compositions. Emer's love of the Flute in particular has lead her to bring it to centre stage on her recordings and at live concerts.
She has worked with among others, traditional musicians Donal Lunny, Paddy Glackin, the late Michael 0' Domhnaill, Cormac Breathnach, Flook!, Grada, harmonica player Mick Kinsella, guitarist John Doyle, singer Damien Dempsey, jazz musician Michael Buckley, French music producer Hughes de Courson, Breton harpist Alan Stivell, The Irish Chamber Choir, Italian baroque ensemble il Giardino Armonico (with whom she recorded a cd of Vivaldi's music), Greek singer Eleftheria Arvanitaki and the Grammy nominated Afro Celts.

In recent times Emer has continued to travel widely both with her own music and as a collaborative musician including concerts in China where she performed a new work by Chinese composer Jia Daqun and in Ireland collaborating with British musician Nitin Sawhney and the Dhoad Gypsies of Rajasthan for The Festival of World Cultures, Dun Laoghaire. Emer has written and recorded arrangements for traditional and Jazz musicians as part of radio producer Gerry Godley's 'Translations' programmme on RTE Radio One and has also had the pleasure of presenting a nine-week series on Radio One entitled 'The Wider Embrace', a non genre-specific program exploring music from a range of diverse sources. In the past few years other highlights have included concerts with legendary Sligo musician Peter Horan and a concert series in the USA. Emer composed the music for 'Winter Pictures', a play for children which has toured Wales and completed a run at The Ark in Dubln and Glor Irish Music Centre, Ennis, a series of highly successful concerts throughout Ireland with Breton musician Jean-Michel Veillon, a new collaboration with jazz musicians Francesco Turrisi (Piano, Accordion, Percussion), Nick Roth (Saxophone), Cellist Kate Ellis and Percussionist Robbie Harris. The band known as Tarab has emerged from this collaboration where the repertoire includes many of Emer's compositions as well as traditional music from Ireland, Turkey, North Africa, Bulgaria and the Middle East. Emer is currently working with Uilleann Piper Mick O'Brien and Fiddle player Aoife O'Brien exploring and recording tunes from the Goodman Manuscripts collected in Munster in the 1880s.
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

Bran Ruz wrote:Emer Mayock, with Jean-Michel Veillon : http://source.pipers.ie/Gallery.aspx?id=198 . :thumbsup:
thanks; i switched computers and lost my old bookmarks--i was looking for this. ;)

Cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/