Delrin sources?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Delrin sources?

Post by Casey Burns »

Question for the flute makers using Delrin (in the US only). Where do you purchase yours?

Thanks!
Casey
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Delrin sources?

Post by I.D.10-t »

I'm not a flute maker but...

Delrin is the trade name and you might find more options looking for the generic polymer.

Some listed in this whistle thread
viewtopic.php?t=60591
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I didn't see this one in the other thread: http://www.interstateplastics.com/searc ... n%20acetal
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

I buy from McMaster Carr. They also offer a generic acetal polymer but I get the Delrin.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Hmmm, I'll bet there'd be a lot of interest in a delrin folk flute... :)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I agree, McMaster Carr has reasonable prices on the delrin. I get the rod that is pre-drilled, it cost more but is faster, and makes less waste. They have a size that works well for the head joint and barrel then the smaller size for the lower section and foot.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go to M. Carr since I order from them already. Am going to try this stuff finally to see if I like it. And see how my tools stand up to it.

Would like to stay with wood but I'm having a bit of a time with flaws. Sometimes I have to turn 10 head joints to get 5 that pass inspection. This is eating into my bottom line.

Plus there is the occasional flute heading to places where the humidity is 5% at times, like Colorado. I worry about the wood ones. Though more often I am using an interesting varnish where I pour some linseed oil onto folded paper towels, then add some mixed up 5 minute epoxy and sort of french polish with the latter on the lathe with the wood spinning. Also seal up the bore and the end grain with this. It entombs what moisture is in the wood to some degree, and makes it less sensitive to humidity.

Casey
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

Thomaston wrote:Hmmm, I'll bet there'd be a lot of interest in a delrin folk flute... :)

I would be for one.

:)
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Well despite my numerous posts bashing the use of Delrin for flutes as opposed to wood, I've decided to humbly take the plunge and test this material, risking some culinary experiences with Corvids.

Enough Delrin for 6 flutes is on its way.

Its easy to get, in useful sizes and shapes (especially the 3/4" tubing). Only question now is if I can stand using the stuff and if it produces an instrument that plays as well as blackwood. If so, I'll offer it in all of my flute models including the Folk Flute and low flutes (and these will still be available in wood as well). I'll know in about a month.

Casey
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Casey Burns wrote: ... risking some culinary experiences with Corvids....
I can attest from personal experience that they don't taste so bad if you eat enough of 'em.

It's probably best not to look at Delrin as a direct substitute for any of the woods. I'm guessing that after the first few flutes you will come up with Delrin-specific designs that make the best use of the properties and tonal qualities of the material.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
mjb128wv

Post by mjb128wv »

Hope the delrin works out - I'm looking for a made-in-America low B-flat.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Casey Burns wrote:Well despite my numerous posts bashing the use of Delrin for flutes as opposed to wood, I've decided to humbly take the plunge and test this material, risking some culinary experiences with Corvids.

Enough Delrin for 6 flutes is on its way.

Its easy to get, in useful sizes and shapes (especially the 3/4" tubing). Only question now is if I can stand using the stuff and if it produces an instrument that plays as well as blackwood. If so, I'll offer it in all of my flute models including the Folk Flute and low flutes (and these will still be available in wood as well). I'll know in about a month.

Casey
I guess only time (and trial and error) will tell. Can't see why it shouldn't work for you, i have heard great sounding (to my old damaged ears anyhow) Delrin flutes from Desi Seery, D.Copley and Rob Forbes.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Feeling the peer pressure here and frankly, I don't mind it. I hope to make it work well.

One of my objections to plastic vs. wood is that it doesn't change shape over time. I think what is involved in the seasoning of a flute, and why these seem to play better a year after manufacture (assuming they are well cared for) -- i.e., played-in - is some very minor but measurable deformation in the cross section of the bore from circular to slightly ovoid, with the ovoid being preferred. One sees this phenomenon much quicker with boxwood.

I looked into the properties of Delrin and its a thermosetting plastic, meaning at above a certain temp (I think they said 275F) it becomes mutable. Thus it may be that a little bit of heat treating to impart a similar ovoid may be all that is necessary.

More later maybe. Nap time. No sleep last night as I lay awake thinking about todays house appraisal (for refi) that went very well I think, some possible pending major changes to the way I sell my flutes and what flutes I sell, and wanting to play my Soprano Sax at 1 AM after listening to some Sidney Bechet. I think I got all of 2 hours. Have to be awake in an hour to go get my kid from the Bainbridge ferry. I can barely keep my eyes open at the moment.

Hasta....

Casey
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I work the delrin with carbide cutters, if you use a wood lathe they have chisels fitted with indexable carbide tips. Like Dave Copley mentioned to me a couple of years ago, you need a strong vacuum to suck up the strings and fumes. Also remember delrin is highly flammable an considered as hazardous waste. enjoy!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I'll be sure to read the MSDS on this. The previous owner of my Myford lathes used to turn delrin flute parts on these. Who knows if this was what eventually gave him colon and liver cancer, killing him. The fire hazard is something I didn't know about - but how does it compare with blackwood? Is it much more flammable?

Good thing I am not making these out of celluloid. Brian Steeger once told me a story of taking a celluloid ornament off an old crappy Highland bagpipe, and setting it a fire to see what would happen. It went up in one little explosive poof! If Delrin shavings are like this, then that is a deal killer. So is the concept of them becoming hazardous waste. My workshop shares my well house.

Casey