Brand new to flute -some advice please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Normski
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Brand new to flute -some advice please

Post by Normski »

Hi

I am literally brand new to the flute though I can play a sax and read music. I got a Hamilton practice flute a fortnight ago. Since then I have been busy trying to get some notes from it. I can now get the notes from it fairly consistently in the lower octave and not quite so consistently in upper octave B and C natural.

I am now seeking some advice from you kind people as to what I should now be doing in order to make the most significant improvement relative to the time invested in making the improvement. I should add that the only teachers near here appear to be classical flautists.

All advice gratefully received but I would like to ask in particular -

now that I can sound notes should I now be concentrating on playing long notes and using a tuner to ensure I am sounding them correctly and consistently rather than trying to play tunes. I want to be able to walk before I run so I am anxious that I start off correctly rather than seeking to go too fast and develop bad habits.

Many thanks.
Sigurthr

Re: Brand new to flute -some advice please

Post by Sigurthr »

Welcome to the world of flute!

Long tones help no matter your proficiency because they help to train both your ears and your lips, so go ahead and play them. Remember to strive for good tone while playing long notes, and not just sit there on whatever tone color and quality you land on.

When you're first getting started (i.e. before you can play the full range of the instrument at will) classical flutists can still be of some help. They themselves may not be able to play your simple system flute, but the basics and theory behind the instrument is identical. They can give you a lot of tips in terms of breathing, embouchure aim/shape/size, etc.

For second octave you don't want to blow any harder at all, in fact second and third octaves should use less air then the first octave. What you want to do is to thin the embouchure aperture in both thickness and width, and aim it up higher so you're blowing across more than you were (you mostly blow down for first octave). It is normal that once you figure out how to sound second octave you become unable to sound a good first octave, and vise versa. It takes time and practice (i.e. repetitious memory formation) to switch between the two embouchure positions on demand. Later on as you get better you'll find each note has it's own embouchure feel, and from there you can work on tuning each note and affecting it's tonality and color.

You're right though, walk then run. So, walk up and down your D major scale. Practice first octave, long tones, nice and slow, be sure to work on tonguing each note and legato, getting a good strong full tone on each note you can. Try to bring the strength to every note that needs it. Venture into the second octave as best you can, even if just one note at a time. Often second octave A is easier than D-G or B-C since it is the third partial in the harmonic series of the fundamental note (d). So when trying to get the second octave don't just try D'' and sit there if you can't do it, find what note in the second octave you can play and branch out from it.

Your first goal is to play every note in the two octave D major scale. Then, play each note with a full strong tone. Once you can do that, the rest falls in line in front of you as if it were the only path to take.

Best of luck and enjoy every minute!
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I've been playing the flute for over thirty years. My advice to you is to ignore advice that you get here. Better yet, don't ask for it. And do let us know where you live. There may be a player closer to you than you know.
Many people know how to post here, and are able to talk about playing the flute. They pretend to know how to play the flute but unless their post is accompanied by a clip of their playing I think it best to assume they aren't really qualified teachers. On the internet people can pretend to be whatever they want to be.
For instance, this is just plain wrong: be sure to work on tonguing each note. Nearly all accomplished players who play Irish music on the simple system flute use a glottal stop rather than the tongue to articulate a note.
So listen to a lot of music and try to take a workshop with a good player. Take your time and enjoy the instrument.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Denny

Post by Denny »

miserable wankers, the lot of us...

'till I find a wooden flute player with a better selection of videos there are these.
Sir James Galloway Masterclass
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Sigurthr

Post by Sigurthr »

Yes, I apologize for not giving ITM specific suggestions, tonguing isn't really appropriate for ITM, it is more of a classical and non-ITM folk technique. Ms. Delaney is correct and her advice supersedes my own (she's well known to be of exceptional skill), I was just trying to pass on some general helpful info to a newcomer that I would have liked when I was new.

It should be noted that I only play ITM occasionally, and mostly play simple system flutes for classical and period music.

@Denny, hehe those masterclass videos helped me out tremendously when I first started. "The smiling embouchure really is NO GOOD."
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Denny wrote:miserable wankers, the lot of us...

'till I find a wooden flute player with a better selection of videos there are these.
James "Galway", like the county...
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

[/url]
I'm not miserable!!!

Oh and "She" needs a shave.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

plunk111 wrote:

Well give someone enough rope, etc. etc.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just put it down, now, there's a sensible lad, very slowly and gently, then back off a little, turn quietly, walk slowly and calmly away for at least 50 paces, then..... run! (And don't look back or.....)

:wink:

Enjoy! :party:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Welcome!

I'm with Julia Delaney on this one. Your best bet is to find a local teacher if at all possible and spend a lot of time listening to recordings of historical and contemporary top-level players, seek out videos of those same players on YouTube. If you can't find a local teacher, there are several excellent player/instructors on the board who offer remote lessons via Skype, which can work out very well.

There is a broad range of skill sets, opinions, and personalities on this board. For someone new to the instrument, it can be difficult sometimes to sort out the sometimes contradictory suggestions made, and there are times when the contradicting facts are both true. It can be very confusing. Consider everything you read here as a possibility to explore, but don't take anything you read as absolute gospel, including this message. :-)

Michael
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Good post Michael. Very true (so maybe normski do take it as at least a little bit of gospel!).
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Normski wrote:Hi

I am literally brand new to the flute though I can play a sax and read music. I got a Hamilton practice flute a fortnight ago. Since then I have been busy trying to get some notes from it. I can now get the notes from it fairly consistently in the lower octave and not quite so consistently in upper octave B and C natural.

I am now seeking some advice from you kind people as to what I should now be doing in order to make the most significant improvement relative to the time invested in making the improvement. I should add that the only teachers near here appear to be classical flautists.

now that I can sound notes should I now be concentrating on playing long notes and using a tuner to ensure I am sounding them correctly and consistently rather than trying to play tunes. I want to be able to walk before I run so I am anxious that I start off correctly rather than seeking to go too fast and develop bad habits.

Many thanks.
find some simple tunes to learn to play, have fun. that is what i do.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, patience is important. It is likely to take quite awhile (e.g. months) to get a consistent tone.
I continue (after a number of years) to struggle with impatience. Long tones certainly don't hurt!
Practicing basics, like holding the flute properly. That isn't any single particular way, but the flute
is steady and solid without the hole-covering fingers doing any work. Aint' nothing the matter with
scales and arpeggios, especially to warm up. Play slowly. Listen to music, lots of listening.
Also, did I mention patience?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Aanvil wrote:
plunk111 wrote:

Well give someone enough rope, etc. etc.
I'm writing another "payroll"... I'm lucky if I can remember me name...

Bob, wasn't it?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Normski wrote:.......

Many thanks.
1. 2 weeks is hardly enough time to gauge progress - please play around with your new flute for a lot longer having fun with it before you start critiquing your performance.
2. yes, playing long notes is always good but only if it is fun for you to do it.
3. do not use a tuner now, use you ears.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit