Terry says goodbye

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Terry says goodbye

Post by Terry McGee »

Thanks all for the stimulating conversations over the past however many years. As you may have seen, the strangled flute conversation has been muzzled twice now, and I imagine permanently. I find the reasoning inadequate, but I'm not intending to fight it or hang about. If we can't have open and useful debate, there's no point in being here. You know where to find me if needed.

Terry
weedie

Re: Terry says goodbye

Post by weedie »

Well,I for one, will miss you Terry :( ,you're a good man ..........
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Well, you know, Terry ... Two of the three Chiffboard moderators are currently recovering from severe illnesses, something we have not publicized. So if we can't jump fast enough when you cry "Jump!", then I suppose we should apologize. Next time we'll try not to be ill when you need instant satisfaction.

It's sad to see this behavior from someone I admire. But really, best of luck to you.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

You're a good man, Terry. I like to think I'm a good man, too. At least I try to be. Every now and then, when something doesn't go my way, however, I throw a strop. I sulk. I suppose that can happen with anyone. I hope it's not the case here. And I hope you're not doing something you'll regret. (Or not doing it for long, anyway.)

I think the best outcome here would be for a bright new sunny day to dawn, heads to stop being tossed ... and this thread to disappear.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Terry, by all means take a TEMPORARY hiatus, but then come back! No one will think worse of you for it.

I've certainly done an unannounced version of this often enough.

Rob
onewheeldave

Post by onewheeldave »

Terry McGee wrote:Thanks all for the stimulating conversations over the past however many years. As you may have seen, the strangled flute conversation has been muzzled twice now, and I imagine permanently. I find the reasoning inadequate, but I'm not intending to fight it or hang about. If we can't have open and useful debate, there's no point in being here. You know where to find me if needed.

Terry
That's unfortunate :)

I can understand because, probably like you, I srongly oppose thread locking.

wrote: Terry ... There's little doubt that your experiment is both interesting and potentially groundbreaking. We're supportive, and we're delighted that you care to share your progress with us.....

....It has also been pointed out to us, and reasonably so I think, that while we're sure your motives are pure and your intent is getting at the empirical truth ... Your interim reporting here may be scaring the hell out of some Chiffboard readers, who are suddenly wondering unnecessarily if their trusty thread-wrapped flutes are now ready to collapse. And makers may be besieged unnecessarily by worried customers. It seems to me that fairness - both scientific and commercial - dictates that the necessary caveats be strong here.
What's the problem with people worrying about their flutes?

If Terry's got a point, then they're right to be concerned.

If a few of them contact makers, then the makers can deal with it surely?

I'm no expert on cork vs thread, but I could tell the discussion was even, with Terry backing up his POV sufficiently, and, others disagreeing, that concrened players could make up their own mind, rather than flying into any kind of panic.
wrote:Terry, is there a way you can perhaps "blog" your experiment on your own website or elsewhere? Then report significant milestones here on the Chiffboard, with links? That might allow you more latitude for ongoing speculation and rumination, while keeping the community here apprised of your progress, and avoiding a general flute-owner panic.
That's the sad thing about these decisions- by locking the thread and, in doing so, censering someone, the board loses a member who clearly still has a major contribution to make.

Sorry if that's seen as critical, but it seems that 'thread locking' will inevitably continue until people start to stand up and try to explain just why they see it as wasteful and counter productive.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I agree with the last post.
It is a sad day in Chiff&Fippledom.
I wish all moderators speedy recovery from any illnesses,
good health and sound and fair judgement.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Heck, don't really leave. I mean, come back as Mr. Pokey, or something.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

That's the sad thing about these decisions- by locking the thread and, in doing so, censering someone, the board loses a member who clearly still has a major contribution to make.
sad indeed, and don't get me started on locked threads and consorship, I'm off to have my own grump...probably back before Terry :swear:
Mark
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Terry, I too hope you'll reconsider. We need and value your input here. Also, I'm not aware of anywhere else on the net where this kind of discussion (I mean the useful parts of it, not the trolling and ad hominem aspects) is happening in so lively a fashion at present - Woodenflute is moribund, earlyflute less active than C&F......

To everyone else, maybe it isn't my place to say this, and I haven't gone to check the Board rules, but I seem to recall that public discussion of moderator decisions and policies is off-limits just as much as reviving previously locked threads (acknowledging my own contributory breach of that rule by participating in Terry's strangulation #2). I think it would be foolish to act in ways that will get this thread locked too, though I concur with Ben that it would be preferable for it to vanish. The rules are published, most of us will have read them at some stage - we choose to participate here under them, or, like Terry, we leave. I don't necessarily agree with all the policies or specific decisions, but on balance I'd rather be active here. Overall, I think our moderators exercise their role well and this board is a far pleasanter and more useful place than some other internet fora because of that.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Don't leave Terry... :(
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Terry, maybe you need just a short vacation to let the murky water settle a little bit.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You'll be missed Terry and maybe eventually you will find your way back here when the dust has cleared...
onewheeldave

Post by onewheeldave »

jemtheflute wrote:
To everyone else, maybe it isn't my place to say this, and I haven't gone to check the Board rules, but I seem to recall that public discussion of moderator decisions and policies is off-limits just as much as reviving previously locked threads (acknowledging my own contributory breach of that rule by participating in Terry's strangulation #2). I think it would be foolish to act in ways that will get this thread locked too, though I concur with Ben that it would be preferable for it to vanish. The rules are published, most of us will have read them at some stage - we choose to participate here under them, or, like Terry, we leave. I don't necessarily agree with all the policies or specific decisions, but on balance I'd rather be active here. Overall, I think our moderators exercise their role well and this board is a far pleasanter and more useful place than some other internet fora because of that.
There's 2 types of forum- those frequented by text-speak teenies where flaming etc are inevitable, and, those where most of the members are mature and capable of communicating without insult.

This forum is clearly of the second kind, and I find it really sad when a thread which contains no flaming, but only well reasoned contributions, which have taken a considerable amount of time and effort by the posters, is locked.

As you point out, many forums do cover themselves by including in the board rules things about not questioning moderator actions, and, if my post above is judged to be of that kind, then obviously I am opening myself up to a disciplinary pm or a banning.

But, I'm just really tired of seeing perfectly OK threads like this one, being locked for bizarre reasons, and, like Terry, I think if it gets to the point where it's basically arbitrary censorship, then you may as well speak up.

Because I suspect that the people who run the boards are unaware of the strengh of feeling on this issue and, if no-one speaks up, that will continue.
westwind

Post by westwind »

I must fully concur with the last post, for some time now I've noticed that threads are being locked for the most trivial, and, I believe, totally subjective reasons; it needs to borne in mind that a good contributor does not necessarily make a good moderator.
Can't means won't and won't means jail.