mold

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbfluter

mold

Post by sbfluter »

What should I do about mold on my wooden flute? I don't want it in my lungs. It is that bad.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: mold

Post by Terry McGee »

It would seem wise to kill off the mould you have, as well as working out how to stop more mould forming. I imagine some isopropyl alcohol would make the mould uncomfortable, but some of our biologists might have a better suggestion. Isopropanol swabs are available cheaply at pharmacists for swabbing injection sites. Probably good to re-oil afterwards.

Hmmm, consider the possibility that the oil you are using is promoting or at least sustaining the mould.

Are you remembering to mop out after playing? Is the local environment unusually moist (and mould grows on everything)? Could it be that you need to mop out then let the flute air a while before putting it away in its case or bag? Do you need two mops, one to deal with most of the condensation, then a follow-up mop to remove the rest? Then an airing?

Terry
an seanduine
antispam: No

Post by an seanduine »

Having cultivated mushrooms commercialy I have several suggestions. As Terry Said, Isopropyl alcohol will "make the mold uncomfortable", actually it will kill it if it is 70 per cent or higher. We used anhydrous, or 100 per cent isopropyl as a general sterilant in the lab.
However, I would like to know what type of wood, since the alcohol may be a bit harsh to the wood. An excellent alternative, and perhaps less injurious to the wood would be to take common medicinal hydrogen peroxide ( I believe the drugstore strength is about 5 per cent) and dilute this down with distilled water about twenty to one and spongeing it down. . .this shouldn't 'bleach' the wood but will not only kill live mycelia but any residual spores, and prevent further germination.
Good Luck,
Bob

P.S. I really am curious just what type of wood this is.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

Hi Diane,

Recorder players have it worse than us flute players in this regard. There is some advice on recorder maker Philippe Bolton's web page:

http://www.flute-a-bec.com/entretcanalgb.html

He recommends using "undecylinic acid (which can sometimes by found in pharmacies under the name of Mycodecyl 10%)"

Cheers, Dan
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Out of curiosity, describe the mold that you see.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Playing a flute with mold made me deathly ill a few years ago. It triggered an asthmatic response so severe that I had to go to emergency services. Its nothing to play through. Don't play the flute until you have eliminated the mold. And be aware that the mold can live on in your flute case and reinfect the flute itself. So treat the flute case as well, even if you have to replace a cloth lining.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

If you're one who uses a plastic box with a dampened sponge to hold your flutes, fully decontaminate it first. Then switch from sponges to dampened paper napkins/towels. They can be disposed of every few days, whereas a reused sponge will start to grow mold very quickly. Good luck!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

A moist cloth or other moist object in the flutes closed container intended to keep the flute humidified is also the perfect breeding ground for mold.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Hi...
The best way to clean mold naturally is with tea tree oil. It is a safe solution compared to chemical cleaners, and not a bad oil for the wood either. - Tod
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Oh good timing. After my Sunday gig I noticed some black flecks in the head piece of my boxwood Noy. The flecks were mostly just opposite the embouchure hole. Here's what I did. After removing the cork I swabbed it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and let it dry. The black flecks were still very apparent - but dead? Don't how to tell. The wood had a rough appearance compared to where the cork was so I put some very fine steel wool on a stick and rubbed till things were smooth (not shiny smooth but smooth to the touch) and the black flecks mostly gone. I then swabbed again with the alcohol and let it dry (including the cork). Finally I oiled it with Bore Doctor oil (product from http://www.doctorsprod.com). Hope I didn't do any harm. One question I have is whether is any kind of finish on the inside of boxwood flutes? I know the outside of these are usually lightly coated by something more sturdy than wax and/or oil, but the inside? I'll email Mr. Noy.

Terry's comments are spot on to prevention. I live in Hawaii so there is perfect flute humidity all the time. That means there is perfect mold conditions all the time too. Still this is recent and I've had this flute for years (for you old timers, it's Jessie's Noy that I got from the fellow she sold it to during her house fund instrument purge). I've been favoring this flute more and more for gigs and while I always swab, it goes right into the case and stays there for several days. My guess is that there is residual moisture that I need to get at with a second dry cloth at the end of gigs and perhaps open the case when I get home and let things breathe a bit.

Clark
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I have used lavender oil to kill mold in some of my antique flutes, I apply the concetrated solution, and swab the bore with that. UV light will also kill it, i.e. sunlight.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'd recommend hydrogen peroxide or uv light

http://askalexia.com/2008/06/21/uv-c-li ... heet-sofa/
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Thank you. The mold is green and fuzzy.

I went on vacation for several months. I kept my flute in a plastic box with a damp sponge.

I kept both my flutes in the box. The one I play most had furry mold on it, but not much, and not on the head joint, so I just brushed it off. The other one didn't look moldy. I did not open the box again for another couple of months. Now it's the other one that's a problem.

I will try the alcohol and then oil it good. Then not keep it in a box.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Thank goodness others responded with good ideas. I would have done something involving a fish tank, Paraformaldehyde, and an alcohol lamp to fumigate it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I.D.10-t wrote:Thank goodness others responded with good ideas. I would have done something involving a fish tank, Paraformaldehyde, and an alcohol lamp to fumigate it.
Flamethrower? :twisted:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads