another piper's grip thread

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dhamilingu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

another piper's grip thread

Post by dhamilingu »

Hi folks,

As I am in the process of obtaining a flute with a larger finger-spread, I have been paying more attention to how other people hold their flutes. On my folk flute I used the famous "Irish grip" - flat fingers, first pads. With a larger flute I may have to tend even more toward piper's grip. And so I happened across a very nice video of THREE awesome flute players playing together (cool enough in itself!), all three using Irish or piper's grip, or some personal variant. I just thought I'd share this because of the high quality of the music, but also because it seemed a little unusual to see three players and not a Rockstro within a rock's throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU07LkzSvE

I must say that John Wynne looks a tad uncomfortable (or at least I would be!) - it just goes to show that there's no "right" style for everyone.

Cheers,

Pete
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: another piper's grip thread

Post by Rob Sharer »

dhamilingu wrote:...and not a Rockstro within a rock's throw.
That is bucking frilliant. And good on yer for promulgating a sensible name for that grip! Cheers,

Rob
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

dhamilingu wrote: ......I must say that John Wynne looks a tad uncomfortable (or at least I would be!) - it just goes to show that there's no "right" style for everyone.
yes he does look a tad uncomfortable and probably gets "away with it" because he he is a hefty fellow with strong musculature.

The player that looks most comfortable in the pipers' grip in this video is the one in the middle, whose grip involves a LH thumb position closest to the description of one of the classical indian bansuri grips described here:-

http://www.bansuriflute.com/Bansuriflut ... ip%22.html

See article author's grip
and his teacher's (Hariprasad Chaurasia) grip.
Pannalal Ghosh also employed a similar thumb but the picture in this link does not show him in play.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Makar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Makar »

Really interesting video - and follow up pointing out the use of the left hand thumb of the middle player (thanks Talasiga for noting that). Just tried bringing my thumb around from underneath the flute to more of a 'chin pin' position. It really feels comfortable and steadied things up considerably.

thanks
Stephen
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Goodness gracious me!
Someone understood one of my posts AND found it useful AND thanked me for it.

Wait till Wren hears about this!
:)
Denny

Post by Denny »

It does seem somewhat unusual....

any idea on what he's got wrong?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

now that I ponder a bit, I don't think its that unusual if you consider his location: Scotland.

Hans has also, sometimes, understood my posts, found them useful and thanked me for it. Also situated in Scotland.

I also remember that, some years ago, during a discussion of modes, BigDavy understood something I said, found it useful and also thanked me for it. BigDavy is also in Scotland.
taity

Post by taity »

must be a scottish thig then :boggle:
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

What's the seond tune? I've heard it a few times, but never really got to grips with it ...
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

now that I ponder a bit, I don't think its that unusual if you consider his location: Scotland.

Hans has also, sometimes, understood my posts, found them useful and thanked me for it. Also situated in Scotland.

I also remember that, some years ago, during a discussion of modes, BigDavy understood something I said, found it useful and also thanked me for it. BigDavy is also in Scotland.
There you go, move to Scotland and you'll be rich 8)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

taity wrote:must be a scottish thig then :boggle:
thats a radical hypothesis. one would have thought that the courtesy of expressing thanks was a global thing.
taity

Post by taity »

aye true . and who you calling a hippopotamus :lol:
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

dhamilingu wrote:Hi folks,

As I am in the process of obtaining a flute with a larger finger-spread, I have been paying more attention to how other people hold their flutes. On my folk flute I used the famous "Irish grip" - flat fingers, first pads. With a larger flute I may have to tend even more toward piper's grip. And so I happened across a very nice video of THREE awesome flute players playing together (cool enough in itself!), all three using Irish or piper's grip, or some personal variant. I just thought I'd share this because of the high quality of the music, but also because it seemed a little unusual to see three players and not a Rockstro within a rock's throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU07LkzSvE

I must say that John Wynne looks a tad uncomfortable (or at least I would be!) - it just goes to show that there's no "right" style for everyone.

Cheers,

Pete
The problem is later in life, when they start to have neck related problems, like Catherine McEvoy. Of course, Chiropractors love this style... :twisted:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

Recently at a set of workshops I went to I was advised to change my right hand grip to something closer to pipers grip. In fact I went the whole hog and I now cover the holes with the pads in the middle of the finger. Once I got used to it - and there was the inevitable going backwards first - I found I was able to get a good strong low D, E and F# where they had been somewhat week before, especially D and E. It also makes finger shakes easier - a very effective decoration of long notes in slow airs.
I have more than once been warned against that particular position for the very reason someone gave above. You are setting yourself up for neck trouble in time but it seems to be not uncommon among traditional Irish flute players.

Geoff
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Tootler wrote: I have more than once been warned against that particular position for the very reason someone gave above. You are setting yourself up for neck trouble in time but it seems to be not uncommon among traditional Irish flute players.
Gary Shannon uses this position as well. He's got the killer tone but I couldn't twist myself up like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh--OYB5mNo

Regards,

Kirk