flute restoration? is it possable?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
FlutesComeMarchingIN
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by FlutesComeMarchingIN »

i am loking into a flute on ebay bad case. getting info on it. said to need new pading and it seems to have rust or something from the air.. any one know the proice to get those done/? or if its removable?? i can send pictures of the flute if need.. So if u know how to restore a flute i'd like your option.. thanks!!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm not sure what kind of flute you're talking about, but can give you a couple of points of reference. We've had about four flutes cleaned up/refurbished in the last 5 years or so. Three were antique wooden or wood/ivory flutes, I think each was an 8-key. These had the pads replaced, keywork cleaned and polished, bodies cleaned and polished, and a couple of cracks repaired. The other was a silver flute that had all of that less cracks repaired. I think the work on the wood flutes was around $100 and the silver flute around $200.

If there's a decent music store in your town, they ought to be able to hook you up with someone who does this sort of work; if not, there are reputable people with web presence.

Charlie