Anyone Playing a Dixon 3 piece Polymer Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

I am thinking about asking for one for x-mas and wanted some feedback first. How about his wooden flutes?
griff

Post by griff »

This has been discussed several times in the past. Here is one reference: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 45&forum=2

I have one and give it a positive vote, although I am a very beginning student.

Griff
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I too am a beginner but am pleased with my Dixon, 3-piece polymer. At a workshop last weekend I received very good comments on both the appearance and tone of the Dixon. And the price is right. I haven't heard any report on Tony Dixon's wooden flutes. For a beginner the polymer is very suitable (especially for a dry climate like Denver).
Cheers,
Aaron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AaronMalcomb on 2002-10-24 02:21 ]</font>
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I would LIKE to be playing a Dixon. I ordered one several weeks ago but they are on back-order.

Tony hurry up will you I'm going crazy. :smile:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I'm sold. Now I just have to see if I have enough brownie points built up with the wife to ask for it for x-mas
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I have one that I take to work with me everyday. You can improve all you want on this flute. The tone holes are small and it's easy to do nice crisp ornaments on it. It can take you all the way to where your ready to get a keyed instrument.

- Craig
MarkCC

Post by MarkCC »

I've got one, and I really like it a lot. I'm a rank beginner, so I'm not much of a judge yet. But it's got a good tone, it's reasonably easy to play, and it's absolutely indestructable.

I brought it to a class I'm taking with Bill Ochs, who's a very knowledgeable, skilled (and incredibly nice) guy. He'd warned me that as a beginning flutist, it was very important to have a good enough flute. He tried it out, and while I wouldn't say he's a huge fan of it, he seemed impressed that a plastic flute could sound that good, and definitely agreed that it was a decent flute for a beginner.

I bring mine to work with me, and constantly play it while I'm thinking. (I'm a researcher, and I have a private office.) It's durable enough to get carried around in my briefcase wrapped in a pillowcase, but it sounds good enough and plays well enough to be fun to play.

-Mark
griff

Post by griff »

Here's another, more recent link:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... =2&start=0

Griff