Desire for a keyed flute...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

When I started playing the whistle in late March of 2002 it rekindled my interest in trying to make simple flutes out of PVC pipe. The flutes I subsequently made in G and especially D, though not works of art in appearance, play better than I expected but have now given me the burning desire for a keyed flute. Unfortunately do to fluctuations in my work schedule my budget would be stretched dangerously for even a modestly priced polymer instrument so I got to thinking, also dangerous. :wink:

Does anyone out there have a cheap keyed flute, perhaps of the Pakistani persuasion, that is at least a 'halfway decently playable' instrument that they are not happy with that they might like to trade for one of my PVC models? I could then try to put what I have learned about flute making into reworking the keyed flute into something a bit better. If I can't make a go of the reworking I am only out the small price of materials, postage and my labor and if whoever receives the PVC flute is no more happy with it then what they sent me they also are no worse off.

Anyone that might wish to give this a go, please reply to <a href="mailto:zozm@yahoo.com">THIS</a> e-mail address.

I don't really know if this is a practical idea or not but thought it worth a try.

Comments appreciated.
Alan
carrie

Post by carrie »

On 2002-10-20 14:57, Alan wrote:
When I started playing the whistle in late March of 2002 it rekindled my interest in trying to make simple flutes out of PVC pipe. The flutes I subsequently made in G and especially D, though not works of art in appearance, play better than I expected...
Just yesterday I received a d flute that I purchased from Alan, one of his PVC originals. I am so happy with it! It's tuneable; its tone is warm and round; it's easy to fill; and the intonation is outstanding. Alan also customized it, offsetting the G hole for an easier reach and designing the embouchure hole to my preference. For anyone considering this swap idea, just wanted to express my opinion that the "Alan" is a very satisfying instrument!

Carol