Glottal "patterns" and the pulsing sound

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hi I would like to ask if rhythmic players use glottal stopping "patterns"? I notice on Harry Bradley's debut CD, Harry plays reels with an almost set glottal pattern throughout the tune. I can't remember off my head what the glottal emphasis pattern is but I know there is one, which gives it a pulsing techno-like beat. (in a good way!)

Its something like
(g)g(G)g (g)g(G)g ad infinitum, for reels
where:
g notates very very light glottal emphasis
(g) notates medium glottal
(G) notates heavy glottal emphasis

Harry would you care to expand on such patterns a little?

As all the notes seem glottalled and in the same pattern (with the occassional exception), I wonder if just familiarising the pattern on a string of same note, like G or D, then superimposing it on a tune can help me with approaching once facet of rhythmic playing.

What are some of the other emphasis "patterns" around? And for jigs slides hornpipes and etc?

Incidentally, I've heard Fintan Vallely's clip on the Wood Flute Obsession CD site and he has this absolutely crazy pulse going on - heavy and infectious.

Anyway I hope to hear all you guys'/gals' thoughts on this issue. Please contribute your 2 cents!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2002-10-18 00:04 ]</font>
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Okay, so what's a glottal? I've been seeing the word for quite awhile, but since it's come up in two threads in the last day or so, I just have to ask what it is.

TIA, Charlie
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Glottal stop: instead of using the tongue, like a classical flutist would, the flutist closes the back of the throat to interrupt the flow of air, much like a small cough.

Even though this sounds like something to get all choked up about, it really isn't that hard to do with some practice.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
chas

Post by chas »

Ah -- I thought it had something to do with glottis. Now: Can one get a sort of vibrating sound using the glottis? Chris Norman does this thing that adds some texture, and I've slowed it down, and it's definitely not some sort of roll. Might it be some sort of glottal?

TIA, Charlie
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Chas,
In my listening experience, Chris Norman is King of Finger Vibrato. It's one of his most-used ornaments. Try playing a G while rapidly covering and uncovering the 5th hole on your whistle with your right-hand middle finger. Is that the effect you're talking about?

I have a concern about adding glottal stops to my playing. My ideal is an open, relaxed throat cavity in both classical and Irish styles. I dislike it when I can hear flutists making involuntary throat noises in quick passages. I'm afraid that glottal stops will cause me to tighten everything and I'd lose the tone I want. Is that the case?

(typo patrol)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thurlowe on 2002-10-19 13:57 ]</font>
WarrenF

Post by WarrenF »

Chas - if you are still following this thread would you care to advise how you manage to "slow down" Chris Norman tracks?

I've heard of software which allows a cd to play slower while still maintaining the correct pitch for play along purposes.

Anyone know what it is, how to get it and how it works?
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

It is called the amazing slow downer. I don't have a website but you could to a search on yahoo or something. There is also a free demo version that is available but it only allows you to play the first two songs on cd or the first 1/4 of an mp3.
WarrenF

Post by WarrenF »

Got it . Thanks.
chas

Post by chas »

I use something called Transcribe, which is available for Macs and PCs. It's shareware and available for a 30-day trial period. You pull a track off a CD, convert it to a bitmap, and can do a number of things using the software. It's incredibly useful for picking up ornaments.

Charlie
WarrenF

Post by WarrenF »

Thanks Chas. Will try.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Silly question, maybe, from a non-flute player, but...

I've just had an opportunity to listen to Harry's flute playing and I wonder, is that great driving, pulsing sound in fact the result of glottal stops?

A glottal stop is really a stop in the flow of air, as when a Cockney omits the "t" sound in "bottle" (boh-uhl". In Harry's playing it sounds to me as though the air flow doesn't stop. Isn't the pulsing in fact coming from the lungs i.e. the diaphragm?

If there are glottal stops in between all those pulses, they seem to be very subtle - and Harry wouldn't it make your throat hurt doing that all the time?

Eludication requested.