Flutes in E or E flat

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
IrishBen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IrishBen »

Dear List;
Could anyone recommend a flute maker that makes Flutes in either of these Keys? Both Mark Hoza and Ralph Sweet make E Flutes, is anyone familiar with Mark Hoza's Flutes? If so what do you think of em?
Ben
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

Almost all makers (if not all) will make a flute in Eb and most probably E, from the delrin crowd, like M&E, to Olwell. Don't know of any maker that won't make an Eb flute. As for E, Hammy Hamilton makes a point of talking about his E flutes, as he bases it on an old one he played. It's particularly good for playing in the key of A, for fiddle and Scottish tunes. Eb, though, is the more common alternate flute to D, as some sessions are played in Eb, and playing along with Malloy, Creaven, Gavin etc. CDs, can be done with an Eb flute, as they are often recorded/performed on Eb flutes. Me, I play along on an Eb whistle, then play it on my D...
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Why is it that Eb is so popular for simple-system flutes rather than E? It would seem that in ITM, anyway, E would be better for fiddles, etc. (I could understand Eb for playing jazz, which is what I do with my Bb and Eb whistles.) I haven't branched out into other keys of flutes, but I have a couple of E whistles, and they just kick ass, and are to my ears much better-sounding and -playing than Eb whistles, even from the same maker.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
IrishBen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IrishBen »

Charlie and Gordon and List:
I've never played an E or an E flat Flute. Have either of you ? My main reason for seeking one of these is they would be easy to play when you're tired. I've got A Ralph Sweet Flute in F which is a jewel, easy to play and sounds great, which is perfect at the end of a day when your sitting at the kitchen table. I would however like to go a little lower, but when I'm tired that D Flute just seems to require to much effort and its just easier to play the whistle or that F Flute, but I'm thinking an E or E flat could still be played easily, but which would be the better choice for me when I'm tired , as I often am....any thoughts?
Ben