John Creaven

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
prunci
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by prunci »

I recently bought Hohn Creaven's CD, "The Story So Far," which Dave Copley and others mentioned here a while back. I just want to second their recommendation of this disc and encourage others to check out John Creaven's playing. It is so unhurried, rich, and soulful. This CD is a nice change from the highly-ornamented, up-tempo playing that seems dominant these days. This is just a gorgeous piece of work.

To those of you who are already familiar with the Creaven CD, any recommendations regarding similar players or recordings?

Thanks,

Paul Runci
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Anyone got a link to sound samples?

Loren
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

What kind of flute does John play?

Doc

If you've got it, flaut it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doc Jones on 2002-10-09 19:46 ]</font>
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

John plays Sam Murray flutes. When I saw him in Cincinnati, he had an E flat and a D flute, both by Sam, and both 4 key. He obviously preferred playing the E flat, and most of his CD is recorded on the E flat flute, as you will quickly find out if you try to play along!

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

According to the liner notes, he plays Sam Murray flutes. Most of the CD is played on an Eb flute, BTW. Only one tuneset and one air on a D, I think.

I really enjoy this CD as well, very relaxing, melodic, easy to learn from and no whistle breaks (a pet peeve of mine, but I digress...), and no bodhrans beatin' the tune to death, either.. Just a good flute player, with an occasional tasteful bouzouki behind to back him on a set or two, without stepping all over the tunes, leaving the flute front and center.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Sorry, I'm too lazy right now to look this up ~ anyone got a link for ordering it?
Mary
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I just want to say that this is a really great CD! John Creaven's tone is just so lovely, rich and really dry. The emphasis he puts on the notes as well as his phrasing is very subtle and makes for a really engaging listen! Dennis Cahill does a great job on the comping as well.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I have already learned a couple of tunes from this CD and feel this is the single best introduction to ITRAD Flute for beginners as well as those who have been playing a while. I learned allot by getting one of the tunes down (or so I thought) only to listen to it again and discover a something (whether a rythm variance, ornament, or phrasing) which I missed earlier.

For those of you that know...Is Creaven's style closer to that of Paddy Carty?
no whistle breaks (a pet peeve of mine, but I digress...)
Gordon couldn't agree with you more...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-10-09 22:53 ]</font>
eubiedubie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by eubiedubie »

I just bought it thru cdbaby.com for 10% less
I went to google and typed in john creaven and it's the first one listed.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I'm not overly familiar with Carty, but it is similar to what I've heard, being another Galway style player and all. The flow is similar, and the approach to the tunes as well. Carty played a Siccama, which has a different sound to the flute itself, and they each have a different feel on the tunes, but, then, most everyone does...
I learned several of the tunes Creaven plays on this CD from Jack Coen, originally, who is also a Galway player; the differences and similarities in their take on the same tunes are striking, Jack being more of a ceili player, I think, and John -- well, less of one. Jack has, to my ear, a happier sound, while John has (also to my ear) a darker and more somber feel.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I just picked up Paddy Carty's CD and although the style is a bit different than John's I think this one to pick up.

Listening to them side by side Paddy Carty is more flow (no surprise) and John has more punctuation and bark in his tunes. The similarities lie in the ease in which you can hear and pick up the tunes presented. The accompaniment on John's cd is kind of dry and lacking character (good thing there’s less). I like the banjo on Carty's. It's very complimentary and unobtrusive.

- Craig
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

On 2002-10-10 05:40, eubiedubie wrote:
I just bought it thru cdbaby.com for 10% less
I went to google and typed in john creaven and it's the first one listed.
Thanks!!
Mary