Crash and Burn...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
caitlin ruadh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Crash and Burn...

Post by caitlin ruadh »

So, last night Hubby and I went over to his folks' house to celebrate his father's birthday. We had the idea that since we couldn't afford a present we'd give him the gift of music. It would be my first time playing my Irish flute in front of anyone, but I didn't feel nervous at all, secure in the knowledge that they'd love whatever we did.

Well, I made sure my posture was correct, made sure of my embouchure, lifted my flute to my lips...and not a sound came out. I tried everything I could think of, but all through the night every time I got more than about 3 bars into a tune the sound would just go dead. I had no (or very little) problem playing along when hubby was singing, but the tunes were a total train wreck. I was so disappointed and embarrassed. I really wanted to do something good and I felt like an utter fool. :puppyeyes:

Of course, his parents were very understanding and said the important thing was that we're playing again (after a long hiatus). And that's true. But I'm back to feeling like an utter beginner and wondering why I took up this instrument in the first place.

My practice today went a little better if I went REALLY SLOWLY, but not much. All the low notes (from A downward) are just giving up on me.

I don't know--maybe it was just the abundance of Mexican food and cake that interfered with my playing. I did feel like I couldn't get any breath support at all. Anyway, any words of encouragement would be appreciated. :sniffle:

Thanks for listening.

Caitlin
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Crash and Burn...

Post by jiminos »

caitlin,
take heart. it comes back, i promise.

i took about 11 years off from playing guitar and singing. then for some darned fool reason, i accepted an offer to play. i was amazed at how much i had forgotten.... virtually everything. some of the head knowledge was still there, but the hands remembered nothing. i threatened to disown them! it took almost a year to get the mechanics back to a level acceptable for performance... but... twelve years later, i still have days where i find myself thinking... "what the hell? i used to know how this went." of course... at this point, it could be age, too.

hang in there. there is no gift to be given that is better than music. i am sure you will bless many lives as you get back in shape. the comeback may not be easy, but the reward is well worth every second of struggle.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

What good fortune you had that this happened at a family gathering. I've had similar experiences happen playing at the local shopping center, at church services and even at a funeral where I was the only musician. There are just some times in life when a person doesn't get a few practice toots. When nothing came out, that was great. I just started again. When something came out that was feeble or something came out then nothing came out, that was worse. Then I just started again or got better from where I slipped. Life goes on. Let us know if anyone ever gets injured.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I find that when I'm nervous, even when I don't KNOW I'm nervous, the same thing happens to me... The only solution is to keep doing it! Have fun!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Cork

Post by Cork »

caitlin ruadh wrote:...But I'm back to feeling like an utter beginner and wondering why I took up this instrument in the first place.

My practice today went a little better if I went REALLY SLOWLY, but not much...

...Anyway, any words of encouragement would be appreciated...
From this thread and from your earlier one, Tips and Tunes, I gather that you have a long time Boehm flute background, that you have more recently migrated to Irish, conical bore flutes, and, that you have had something of a long term break from flute playing. So, let me see if I couldn't offer some perhaps useful advise, which might not be the words of encouragement you seek, but which just might be useful, nonetheless.

The first thing to do is to establish a daily practice routine, and then stick with it, through good times and bad. That calls for a lot of discipline, but, frankly, that's what it takes. For instance, let me assume that you've had moments of success, perhaps great success at playing a flute, but can you honestly say that you've had such success without practice?

Playing a flute well calls for more than just knowledge, physical coordination, and a connection to your emotions, for beneath all of that you first and foremost need to have the attitude, the "can do" attitude of an artist.

Unfortunately, it seems that without sincere dedication to one's art, including a lot of practice, perhaps great performance could be but a dream.

BTW, it's perfectly OK to start with slow practice. For instance, I begin my own daily practice on playing just one tone, in perfect tune, and then matching all of the other tones to it, and I don't bother trying to match all of the other tones until I am completely satisfied with the tuning of the first tone.
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I find it very hard to play well right after eating a meal, sometimes it takes a couple hours before I can breath properly. Maybe the next time you plan to play for someone should be before dinner. Just a thought. And sneak into the kitchen and play a little to warm up. 8)
huffin' and puffin'
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

There's always tomorrow, and the next time, and the one after that. Take a moment, and always remember to BREATHE!
Arbo
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Play... play a lot.

Every day.

Play play play play.

That is the only way to get over that from happening.

There are no short cuts.

The old military saw is that "You fight like you train."

This is no different.

Oh, and something important.

It should be fun. If its not then you might need to think about what you are doing.

That doesn't mean it won't be frustrating at times but it still should be fun. :)

Best of luck!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

The fact you're still having trouble now makes me wonder if there's not a mechanical problem. Have you checked your flute for cracks or loose joints or ....? It being winter and wood being wood ....

There are many good threads on such topics here: search "humidification," "hoop stress," "Teflon tape," "oiling," "tenon/socket fit," "leaking," "tiny cracks," etc. :-)

Good luck!

P.S. ALSO, if it's trouble from A down your fingers could be not covering the holes sufficiently. Make sure you're getting that; a little Bag Balm or light moisturizer can help with the sealing of the toneholes.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. My husband reminds me of the same things whenever I get frustrated. Just because it's a long tube that you blow to the side doesn't mean it's the same instrument as a Boehm flute. I need to keep that in mind when I want to be really good NOW.

I hit on something last night that might actually explain the problems I'm having at the moment, though. The other night at dinner I bit myself really badly on the inside of the cheek. I noticed that making the proper embouchure actually irritates the injury there, so my embouchure keeps slipping so I can avoid the pain, if that makes sense. Anyway, last night's practice was painful and afterward the inside of my cheek was all red and swollen again (in fact, it is now). So I think there may be something to that.

Cathy, I'm going to search some of the topics you suggested. I keep seeing what look like tiny cracks in the barrel sections of my flute, but my hubby, who's a woodworker, assures me that's just the grain. I'm not sure I believe him

Oil day today.

Caitlin
Cork

Post by Cork »

Hi,

I'm sorry. I didn't meant to rush to a conclusion. Yes, it could've been some thing you ate, and yes, it could've been a fault of the flute, too, but after hearing of your circumstances, another thought came to my mind, immediately. It seems that those players who have taken a long break away from playing, perhaps several years or more, quickly realize that they are due for lots of regular practice, to scrub away layers of cobwebs and rust. Yet, it also seems that those who have taken a shorter break, less than a few years or even only several months, all too easily fall into what I call the bicycle trap, as in, I rode this bicycle without difficulty last year, so I should be able to just get on it and go again this year.

Anyway, good luck with your recovery!
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

I'm doing better now, taking things more slowly and really working on my finger placement. Cathy's suggestion about using a little lotion to "sticky up" my hands has been very helpful.

Cork, I didn't take your first post personally. It's true; practise makes perfect. Right now I practise twice a day, once for about 30 minutes in the afternoon and once, generally with hubby, for up to a couple hours in the evenings. I find that I get tired easily and can't play tunes for any more than about 30 minutes (which is why the short duration of my afternoon sessions). In the evenings we break it up with songs.

Also, going really slowly is helpful. I can play along with songs even when the tunes aren't coming out well. That's always encouraging.

Again, thanks for all the kind wishes.

Caitlin
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I wanna hear a good crash and burn story where people jumped out windows and eyeballs bled and the ground opened and swallowed the listeners to spare their ears.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cork

Post by Cork »

caitlin ruadh wrote:...It's true; practise makes perfect...
Oh, no! As I've said before in earlier posts, that when it comes to music, practice, practice, practice, should NEVER make perfect!

After all, perhaps "perfect" music could amount being lifeless music, and so boring!

caitlin ruadh wrote:...Also, going really slowly is helpful...
Yes!

First thing in my own playing day, I deliberately go slowly, which helps me to get a micro-survey of everything, of every flute playing detail, to make sure that all is well, and which also allows me to thoroughly warm up, embouchure, fingers, breathing, posture, everything. At times in the past I've done it the other way around, too, by just jumping head first into playing, but, ultimately, that never worked out as well as after a comprehensive warm up.

Even after getting warmed up, there still are a number of reasons for playing slowly, at a fraction of the intended speed. For one thing, it gives a player the time to better get into the mind of the author of the music, to perhaps better appreciate and understand just what the author had in mind, and then, it also allows more time to consider any potential variations.

Slow indeed can be a good thing!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

"If you can't play it slow, you can't play it fast." – Beverly Buchanan.
"Play it slow. Then play it slower." – ? I forget :oops:? to Ivan Goff.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.