What are the "Must Have" Flute CDs?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

It was kind of embarrasing for me. I was trying to somewhat impress my daughters Scottish fiddle teacher when talking with Frankie and asked him how long he had been playing Olwell's. That's when he told me it was a Murray.

Looked like an Olwell to me. (shrug)

Maybe it wasn't a rumor you heard..that Cd of his is pretty old. He didn't even have it for sale at his show and when I mentioned it he acted like "oh you mean that little thing...".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-10-11 14:52 ]</font>
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-10-10 23:08, Eldarion wrote:
Oddly, Frankie Gavin is mainly known as a fiddler although he's such a smashing flute player. On the CD you'll find a few tracks with him dueting with himself on the fiddle too. His driving "agressive" flute playing style is complements his fiddling very well.
At age 17, Frankie won All Ireland both on fiddle and flute. Story goes that he played flute first, but then his older brother (who played concertina) made Frankie take up fiddle because he liked the sound of fiddle and 'tina together. Then he gave Frankie a really hard reel to learn as his first tune, "after that, everything will seem easy."

There's some nice whistle playing by Frankie, btw, mostly from the seventies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-10-11 14:59 ]</font>