What are the "Must Have" Flute CDs?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Ok, so I've ordered a Dixon Three-piece polymer and I'm practicing blowing into a Dixon duo D/C fife to learn how not to pass out after playing more than six notes.

What I need now is some inspiration because I can tell that this flute thing is going to be a major pain in the neck.

So what are the most inspirational wooden-flute CDs I can buy to keep me motivated?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Scroll through the last few pages here on the flute list and find the thread on the Wooden Flute Obsession CD set - That'll be enough to get you, and keep you, going for quite some time. It's a good bargain too.

Loren
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

I'll give you what I think is the single most essential recording.

Paddy Carty : Traditional Music Of Ireland

Shanachie Records re-released this mammoth in 1997. It is Solo flute with tenor banjo "harmony." There is a duet or two and a solo banjo track. I've listened to this recording for two week stretches twice a day, every day. I think no other recording has as much unadulterated, unrefined, crude and raw craic as this one. My (easliy challanged) opinion is that the whole recording is on par with Michael Coleman's best recordings. I know a lot of people will disagree with that, but it is my opinion. Don't look for any airs because there wasn't any room for slow music anywhere. No slow reels, no leisurly slipjigs. Every tune played with power and conviction. I was letting a friend listen to tracks from a bunch of recordings from a bunch of CDs. When I reached for the controls, he threatend to break my arm if I stopped Carty's music. Your milage may vary.

The only other recording that I think could be considered a bench mark of equal standing (of higher opinion with some folks, and with good reason) would be the old John McKenna Complete Recordings of John McKenna. If you have these two recordings, you can pick out bits of their playing influencing almost all other flute music.

McKenna and Carty have very very different styles, but I love them both.

Other wonderful recordings include:

Conal O'Grada's Top of Coom

Hammy Hammilton's The Moneymusk

Eamonn Cotter's Traditional Irish Flute Music from County Clare

Catherine McEvoy's Traditional flute music in the Sligo-Roscommon style
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Truly excellent suggestions here! Well done.
Chris
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think I may be posting just to see myself post here (not sure), but I totally agree with the others.

I got the Wooden Flute Obsession set on Loren's recommendation and it's incredibly good. I listened to both CDs on the way to a craft show this weekend and had my mom (she was with me) write down the tracks I really liked so I could look at them later and look into CDs by those particular artists.

Also on the way to this show, we stopped at a Barnes and Noble and I got the above-mentioned Paddy Carty CD. His style is so different from what has become traditional. There is a smoothness that is peaceful even though it's energetic.

Nah, I think I may have actually contributed something here.

:smile: Jessie
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I would also recommend John Wynne and Colm O'Donnell. I think their styles are similar to Catherine McEnvoy. If I was stuck on an Island and could only have one CD right now I would probably stick all the Geezer mp3's to disk and that would be it. If it's a published CD than it would have to be John Wynne's. Next CD I buy is going to be this Carty one for sure. I noticed that Kevin was going to include one of Carty's tracks to the Flute Obsession cd but that must have fallen thru.

- Craig

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-09-30 12:08 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Oh yeah,

Welcome to the world of Trad Irish Flute. For me going from whistle to flute has changed my tastes quit a bit so beware. If it's not Mary Bergin playing the whistle it just annoy's me.

Congrats on the 3-peice Dixon. I have one and it's my morning practice flute. It's great and fun to play and could easily be used to defend yourself against muggers.

- Craig
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Hey thanks for the tips everybody.

So Craig what do you play in the afternoon?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-09-30 12:07, CraigMc wrote:
I noticed that Kevin was going to include one of Carty's tracks to the Flute Obsession cd but that must have fallen thru.
Actually I have a contract to use Track 02 - The Day I Met Tom Moylan - Ships A-Sailing (Reels) from Shanachie. I dropped the track on recommendation of Harry Bradshaw who felt it was too dated to fit in with the more contemporary players that do appear on Wooden Flute Obsession. It would be more appropriate on a Geezer CD along with other historical recordings. Maybe something out on WFO discs 5 & 6. Besides, the banjo accompaniment "sounds like it was recorded under a blanket". Good playing on a cylindrical Radcliff model flute, though, and definitely an important influence. Other good stuff is Paddy Taylor's Boy in the Gap on cassette.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-09-30 12:07, CraigMc wrote:
I would also recommend John Wynne and Colm O'Donnell. I think their styles are similar to Catherine McEnvoy.
I don't know about John Whynne and Catherine McEvoy being similiar... I might be wrong but it seems to me that Whynne is more of the Molloy school of playing and McEvoy more of the rhythmic breath-accenty school. Both are pretty good albums though! For other albums, lets not forget Chris' recommended list:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 77&forum=2

The Paddy Carty album sounds really nice from the way you guys describe it! Is there anywhere I can get it and the John McKenna one in CD format? The Knotted Chord doesn't seem to have it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2002-09-30 22:01 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Doc,

The flute I play when I come home from work is a Copley. The Copley for me is actually a harder flute to play and it's supposed to be easy. I have heard from others that have played more flutes that I that the Dixon requires a more focused embouchure..It could be on the Copley I'm over focusing my air stream too much because occasionaly I miss notes..I'm not sure. Anyway both are wonderful flutes.

As far as Wynne being like McEnvoy your right they are differnt. I guess the impression McEnvoy's comments made on John being from Roscommon and the flowing style of the area outweighed my ears. I would agree John is more of a Molloy style player and same with Colm O'Donnell. I would say that his and O'Donnell's style is more approachable than Molloy's and maybe that's why I like the CD so much. Definately more flowing than rythmic.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Oh yeah...you can also get Paddy's album on Amazon. I will pick mine up from Dusty Strings. McKenna's album is sadly out of print. I have talked with Knotted Chord and Phillip from Celtic Grooves and there are not current plans to even release it on tape. That is the album John Wynne told me to study when I talked with him last year.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-09-30 21:49, Eldarion wrote:
The Paddy Carty album sounds really nice from the way you guys describe it! Is there anywhere I can get it and the John McKenna one in CD format? The Knotted Chord doesn't seem to have it.
Paddy Carty's Traditional Irish Music is available from Amazon.com (use C&F link so Dale gets some credit). Only a few tracks of John McKenna material are available on compilation CDs. The majority of the 78s material is only on cassette, available from Cranford Publishing, http://www.cranfordpub.com/recordings/McKenna.htm, but currently temporarily out of stock.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Thanks Kevin and Craig! I'll definitely check it out. By the way Kevin, do you have any more news for the Fintan Vallely CDs? Just love his style!
Harry

Post by Harry »

The McKenna collection was never bounced to CD from the "Viva Voce" cassette format, mores the pity.

I would dearly love to see it and the double cassette James Morrison release on CD and have considered approaching my near namesake to enquire to this end.

As far as I know the tapes are not being produced at the minute either, so if you ever see 'em, buy em' quick!

Regards, Harry.

http://www.strayceol.com