Starting work on my PVC D flutes again, need advice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kel

Post by Kel »

Hey all. I used to make (casually) some D flutes out of PVC plumbing pipe. I have the measurements and dimensions and all, but I'm working out the details. Right now I have it as one long piece of pipe, with an embouchure hole and 6 tone holes, as well as two vent holes at the foot. There will be a larger piece of PVC around the embouchure hole in order to increase the wall's thickness (A tip from Olwell himself) and better the sound.
I'm trying to figure out a way to make something along the lines of a tuning slide and find a way to break the PVC flute into 3 pieces. Would this be difficult? i was thinking of using thin-walled brass tubing that will fit snugly inside the headpiece and some of the body. I dont know much about working with brass or any of that type of pipe, so can anyone give me any ideas? I have the current flute designed in AutoCAD (for what that's worth to y'all). I can probably link to a picture and the dimensions in a little while.
-kel
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

You might want to post this on the Flute-Tech group at yahoo. It is a group of serious and not so serious flutemakers. Very good and perfect for your questions.
Patrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Patrick »

Check out Rick Miller's flute design info:
http://www.sonic.net/~rdmiller/flutes/pipemods.html

His flute on this page is a G, not a D, but the tuning slide/pipe joint would still work, scaled up.

-Patrick