How Many Flutes in Your Collection?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pdunn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pdunn »

Hello all I don't post often but I like this forum a lot.
I own a Lehart six key
a Ganley I've been trying to give away or start one of my whistle students with
an old rosewood flute marked G. J. Best London (six big block mounted silver keys)
looks kinda military in origin?cracked head way beyond repair. I'm turning my own unlined headjoint for this one.
I've played many flutes. The flute I've liked the best so far is a Sam Murray keyless that I often play at a session. I'm used to it and it plays the way I want a flute to sound.
I played a boxwood olwell in a ruddall design I think that I loved. If I remember correctly it had no rings or slide.
a blackwood olwell pratten design (a little too much flute for the softer tone I favor) still amazing though
Currently getting used to my lehart. Its older (?)( at least well plyed in) used. It plays great. strong low D, but I find I have to blow it just right to have it in tune (not with itself) and I have to have the slide all the way in. If I pull the slide out slightly I get the tone I'm looking for.
planxtydt
antispam: No

Post by planxtydt »

Thanks Chris and Jessie,
I think it is looking like a choice between the Hamilton and the Doyle because I really don't have the time to keep on at Sam Murray (i've heard what he's like).

Yes, i'm swaying towards a Hamilton. I remember Hammy from when I was in one of his classes at Scoil Acla. He is a great guy. There's just something about the Doyle.
Jessie, how does your Doyle compare to your Hamilton? Is the Doyle headjoint lined? If it isn't can that be a problem?

Finally, this may sound really stupid, but does Hammy make you a whole new flute or does he "recycle" others that people have given back to him because they want keyed instruments. (i.e, does he give you something that someone else has played?)

cheers,

David
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

David - When were you at Schoil Achla? I was there summer 2001.
Chris
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

David, that's a good question. I don't know if Hammy recycles. The Doyle flute sounds sweeter and less strong than the Hammy. Unlined heads are probably less likely to crack. I have an Olwell boxwood flute with absolutely no metal, and it sounds and feels amazing. I think tuning slides are over-rated. There's tunability in the tenon-socket connection.

Jessie
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

Hi, thanks Jessie.
Chris, i was at Scoil Acla in 2000 and 1999. I've missed out the last two years BUT! i'll be there in 2003! :smile:

Hopefully i'll see some of the members there!

David
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

On 2002-09-12 09:41, Loren wrote:
Wish I still had my Copley now....but at least I know Mary is enjoying it :smile:

(OH, YEAHHHH!!!! I don't think I could possibly be ANY happier, than I am with that Copley of mine..... It's the bomb! )

Dave makes a fantastic flute, doesn't he?

( I'll sure second that! Not only is the flute terrific, but Dave's customer service is outstanding ~ what a fine, quality guy all the way around! Mary :smile: )

Loren
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-09-12 15:11, ChrisLaughlin wrote:

My personal recommendation is to go for a Hamilton. They're mighty flutes at a great price with a short waiting list and Hammy is one of the nicest, most knowledgable makers I've met. He's also a mighty player. Just know that Hammy's flute, in my experience, are rough and tumble, knock 'em down and then stomp on 'em flutes all the way. They're loud, have a great big honking, growling tone, and are very, very responsive.
Second all that.
I don't have much experience with Sam Murray's flutes - not enough to say I know them very well... You could listen to Emer Mayock or Marcus O'Murchu to get an idea of what they can sound like.
When did Marcus take up a Murray? That's not what he used for his solo CD.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Folks,
getting back to the original question, My flute collection consists of the following.
Premier single key in C? ( is this a fife)
Miller Browne 5 key in C
1p Dixon pvc flute
Tuneable wooden flute with C foot (maker unknown, Probably Pakistani, but I like it!!)
Ormiston with C foot (Ordered, should get it May/June 2003)

I'd love a Copley but can't justify the cost, Import and tax to UK, I could buy a set of Martin Preshaw's practice pipes for the same price but that's another story!

Slainte Math, Mac
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Are you sure about Marcus? I don't have his CD handy, so I'll take your word for it. However, when I took classes with him at Willy Week he was playing a Murray and had a lot of good stuff to say about it. He also was supplying Murray's flutes to a bunch of people.
Chris
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-09-14 20:29, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Are you sure about Marcus? I don't have his CD handy, so I'll take your word for it. However, when I took classes with him at Willy Week he was playing a Murray and had a lot of good stuff to say about it. He also was supplying Murray's flutes to a bunch of people.
Chris
According to the liner notes, he played a D flute made by Simpson (London) 1864. Perhaps it's not a surprise for a flute player to get a modern flute these days.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
okverka

Post by okverka »

Seery D
Sunreed bamboo D
Otakar Kverka
Prague
Bohemia, Europe
Try my web with some photos from my Ireland bike holiday and links to Irish music and dance in Czech Republic
http://irsko.unas.cz
sturob

Post by sturob »

Wow, ChrisLaughlin has a ton of flutes. Definitely has me beat.

R&R concert D, 8-key, cocus
Bryan Byrne keyless Eflat, blackwood
Grinter keyless Bflat, red lancewood
Olwell bamboo low C
Erikthe bamboo low D

And that's all. Maybe I need more. Image

Stuart
Stuart Hall
pipes, flutes, narcotics, and benzodiazepines
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

No, no, no - I don't HAVE all those flutes. I've just PLAYED all those flutes. Man oh man, I would have to be Bill Gates to afford all those flutes!
Nice flutes in your collection by the way!
Best,
Chris
sturob

Post by sturob »

Why thank you, Chris, ol' buddy, ol' pal. I guess I didn't read your post carefully enough.

And I do have one on the way. Talked to Pat Olwell on Friday, and my keyless cocus D will be done by Thanksgiving, sounds like. Now I just hope I don't develop a contact allergy like Loren's, and I'll be flutin' Dixie.

Stuart