Wooden Flute Makers List

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
optakeover

Re: Wooden Flute Makers List

Post by optakeover »

Just want to know, but how would an Indian registering the website be of any concern?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75721&start=30

"However to me, above all it's not about the whistles. I love all my whistles, but I love the music more."
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

optakeover wrote:Just want to know, but how would an Indian registering the website be of any concern?
:-?
"Concern" in a general sense, none - "free world " and all that.... anyone anywhere is entitled to register any available domain name.

But, as I read the (limited) evidence so far, it seems unlikely to me (pending any positive evidence to the contrary) that this website has anything directly to do with Desi Seery. I can't imagine that, even if he used a proxy service of any kind to set up a website for him, that there is any likelihood that it would involve any connection to India. Maybe our Internet experts can comment, but this looks to me like someone harvesting currently defunct web-presences (domain names etc.) and registering them as a holding operation with a view to profitting by selling them back to the eponymous user if-&-when they come to revive their own use.

What might be of greater concern is that a possible suspicion in this case is that the designer of this website (assuming for now that it is not genuine) has made some (weak) effort to make it look credible - one has to wonder whether, if one made contact through the channel provided, one might be conned into sending funds thinking one was buying a Seery instrument.... Imagine the rest for yourself. I'm not saying that is necessarily so, but due care for self-protection on-line should lead to the possibility being considered and caution exercised. (If this website had been registered in Nigeria or Russia.......????!!!!)

If anyone reading this has any access to Desi Seery in the flesh (or at least by e-mail or telephone), perhaps they would like to enquire of him whether this website is genuine and let us know? It would doubtless be to Desi's advantage to let the status of this only current web-presence in his name be known and to dispel any doubt. His old websites were not particularly fancy ones, but they were better than this! As he seems to have deliberately abandoned having an internet presence some time ago, I would think it unlikely he would bother to come back in such a half-hearted fashion, and even a site in initial stages of development would be very unlikely to be registered in India rather than Ireland!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

jemtheflute wrote:But, as I read the (limited) evidence so far, it seems unlikely to me (pending any positive evidence to the contrary) that this website has anything directly to do with Desi Seery. I can't imagine that, even if he used a proxy service of any kind to set up a website for him, that there is any likelihood that it would involve any connection to India.
Guilt by the limitations of yer imagination?

Did you really say that?

Have you consulted yer solicitor?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I agree with Jem. The seeryflutes site has the appearance of a domain hijack or spoof to me, regardless of where it's located.

Let's hope for contact from Mr. Seery for clarification.

Meanwhile, it's Jem's list, and inclusions / exclusions are his call.

- Mod.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote:Did you really say that?

Have you consulted yer solicitor?
Strewth, how much more carefully conditional language, consciously and declaredly subjective and open-ended comment could you possibly want?
:D

My imagination already got overworked and went on holiday/strike!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
optakeover

Post by optakeover »

jemtheflute wrote: "Concern" in a general sense, none - "free world " and all that.... anyone anywhere is entitled to register any available domain name.
Okay.

What I meant by the word 'concern' was because since I noticed you were expressing doubt over the site's credentials, I just wanted to know if this was bad.

I think you might have known what I meant, but I'll just post this in case there was misunderstanding.

Oh, and I also get what you meant through your explanation.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75721&start=30

"However to me, above all it's not about the whistles. I love all my whistles, but I love the music more."
lingpupa

Post by lingpupa »

I only just read this, but I have to say that anyone who can't see that the site concerned is utterly flaky and that (ok, rightly or wrongly) has "fake" written all over its scraps of content must have turned their imagination right off!
I'm going to go ahead and inquire, and see what happens...
Gregor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Gregor »

Hello,

I found my name for your makers list but there is wrong information about me .I don't work now in firm T&S I winished that cooperation few years ago. Now I star with new.Could you change it, please.
More information about my new firm you find for

gtmusicalinstruments.com

Sincerely

Grzegorz Tomaszewicz
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I don't see Steffen Gabriel's name...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Othannen wrote:I don't see Steffen Gabriel's name...
Yeah, and quite a few others.... plus updates need doing. I have a note by my computer listing all such I'm aware of (including ones folk here have flagged to me) but haven't had time to do the necessary, nor will have for a while yet - maybe in February.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
gamonal1
Tell us something.: Dorian
Mixolydian

Post by gamonal1 »

Please ad Victor Dolls (Spain)

here his Link:

http://dols-flutes.blogspot.com
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

should http://www.millyard-molem.com be added as well...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks guys, though please see the OP on making nominations! I'm very aware I am (again) massively overdue in doing an update of The List!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

grinters site down?
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12