Delrin or Wood?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
morgan

Delrin or Wood?

Post by morgan »

I have a chance to get a Copley and Boegli in delrin or blackwood.

I am prepared to be very nice to the flute, not leave it in hot cars, feed it yummy oil, etc, but do not want to worry constantly about the wood.

Is the supposed benefit of wood enough to offset the extra care?

What say all of ye?
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

blackwood doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

Ya don't want to leave it out in the rain, drop it on concrete, beat the cat with it

Delrin on the other hand!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

My cat prefers to be beat with cocus.

Go for the blackwood!

You won't be able to play it in the shower or while kayaking though.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
morgan

Post by morgan »

What about weather swings? I live in the blessed Midwest and we get temperatures from -20 to +100 F, and humidity from 0% to 100%. And all in the same afternoon, sitting under the same tree.
Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

If you plan on being nice to your flute, there's no physical reason to avoid wood. Blackwood flutes, in particular, are extremely easy to take care of. Delrin is generally less expensive, so there mighty be your reasoning. Delrin feels differently than wood in your hands, which may affect the way you play, and most of us think or imagine that they sound a bit different, too, but there's no clear proof of that, either way. Personally, I much prefer wood, for a variety of rational and irrational reasons, but I've come to accept that a well-made Delrin flute might, in fact, be a good flute, too. So, if you're worried about extreme temp changes, go with Delrin. It certainly won't crack.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I've got a cracking good Delrin Pratten.

People won't be able to tell the difference sound wise from wood.

I'll put money on it.

Wood though... it just feels good and smells good.

Its alive and you'll notice the difference playing it over Delrin.

If you are really worried about being rough on it environmentally though I can totally understand your point of concern.

my .02$
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Morgan - I'm in the midwest myself, and I know quite a few flute players who have no problems with blackwood (or mopane or boxwood). Blackwood in particular can require little care.

That said, I'm a certified wood worrier and have a polymer flute myself. You can still melt them in a hot car, have the rings fall off, etc., so it's not like they're bullet proof or anything...but they never crack unless you drop them onto a hard substance and get very, very unlucky.

Either way, you're buying a good flute for Dave Copley.

Eric
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Wood isn't very hard to care for and will survive fine in the midwest.
Denny

Post by Denny »

all right.....fine....

I prefer my blackwood, I play the Delrin more often just cause it's always out
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

I use Delrin due to a wood allergy. Honestly, you don't buy Delrin because you are worried about normal use.

However, if you have Delrin melting in your car, you must live on the Sun. The Melting Temp of Delrin is 335F/168C. If your car is getting that hot, wow.....
morgan

Post by morgan »

Thanks to all. This gives me courage.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

I have played several hundred flutes. I currently play an Olwell cocus, among flutes made by other notable makers.
I love to try new flutes. The best way is to buy them, play them, then sell them after a while.
I recently bought a Copley delrin flute, used, from a board member. I cannot believe how good this flute is. I can leave it out, assembled, all day. When I pick it up to play it I am delighted with its quick response, its solid low D, and its good tuning. It will be a long while before I sell this flute along. It is a gem.
I heartily recommend this flute both to beginners as well as to experienced players.
Dave Copley has no idea that I am posting this - needless to say, I have no financial connection to Dave, other than a casual friendship.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tintin - I play an M&E which is actually made from solid rod stock foodgrade PVC...it starts getting soft at 140 farenheit which isn't out of line for a car in the midwest on a 105 degree day.

Still, if your delrin has rings, the glue can fail in high heat.

Eric
morgan

Post by morgan »

Hot car = worst enemy of all instruments. I could ruin all my stuff in one day: melt the accordion reed settings, warp the banjo neck, crack the pipe reeds...I hope I have not given my enemies any ideas.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I live in St. Louis. There's no problem with wood,
it requires very little maintenance. Blackwood
is tough stuff.
A board member once said that wood sounds more
alive: 'The spirit of the tree still lives in the wood'
I agree entirely.