Poljez flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Poljez flutes

Post by Henke »

Today I went to see a concert feathuring an old friend named Kevin Ryan from the Ennis area. He had an amazing Eb flute that I had a go with after the show. It was an awesome instrument, blackwood, fully keyed, block-mounted. Top notch workmanship. The maker is called Poljez Lutherie or something from Brittany, France, never heard of it before. Anybody know anything about the brand? It feels like I should have at least heard the name of such a fine maker.
I was very impressed with the flute. I'm currently beating myself up that I didn't take a closeup pic of the flute since I had my cell with me and took a few pictures of the gig. Tell me anything you know folks.

Cheers
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

From the flute maker's list.

Would it be this guy?

PolJez Flutes

Pol Jezequel
PolJez
Kerahun 56160 PERSQUEN
BRITTANY (France)
Tel: +33 297 399 662
Email: flutepoljez@gmail.com
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I briefly tried a six-keyed Pol Jezequel flute last summer, and it was a very nice, well-made flute. Small to medium holes, as I recall, and a very slender body. Very light and well balanced (partly lined head), with lightly sprung salt-spoon keys. And I recall noticing the unusual almost diamond-shaped embouchure cut.

Here are some pictures (by Onkel) from another thread:
http://steinort.net/flute/poljez.pdf

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... l&start=15
Henke

Post by Henke »

That's it. Thanks a lot.
Amazing instrument. But I as I recall I thought the embouchure cut on that Eb was pretty ordinary, but I didn't acctually look too close. The keywork was very slick and they had a dead-light touch. Felt amazing.
Tchie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tchie »

Tintin wrote:I briefly tried a six-keyed Pol Jezequel flute last summer, and it was a very nice, well-made flute. Small to medium holes, as I recall, and a very slender body. Very light and well balanced (partly lined head), with lightly sprung salt-spoon keys. And I recall noticing the unusual almost diamond-shaped embouchure cut.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =194282338
you may listen to his performance on his own hand-made flute (and he published an album)

I tried his flute this summer with v-shaped embouchure... amazing it cuts off my hissing sound with very hish response. (eventhough I do not want to take all hissing sound out for me)

Easy to play, yes. His flute is no so expensive. His normal embouchure was for me, quite difficult to play though...
Lightheaded Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

FWIW, an acquaintance of mine plays a PolJez flute. Here's a clip of her. Mighty playing, I think. Wish I got to play with her more often.
Norah, if you read this, come to Bowen! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2rjpGSeVm4
Mike
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Lovely playing and cracking tone! It was in fact Brian's PolJez flute I briefly tried last year...small world.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I wonder if that's the flute Kevin Crawford was toting around this summer? I remember it was a newish maker from Brittany and it was a very handsome flute, though I only had a moment to toot on it -- there was Kevin with this new flute, plus a new-model Grinter, in a roomful of 22 obsessed flute players.

Chaos ensued.

Anyone else from Augusta remember?

... OH. And yes! Mighty playing, Norah, indeed! Enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRB6khvE ... ed&search=

same people, same flute, I believe, jigs
onkel

Post by onkel »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I wonder if that's the flute Kevin Crawford was toting around this summer? I remember it was a newish maker from Brittany and it was a very handsome flute, though I only had a moment to toot on it -- there was Kevin with this new flute, plus a new-model Grinter, in a roomful of 22 obsessed flute players.
That's the one! I went to see Lunasa last year in Autumn and Kevin had his brand new Poljez flute with him. We were swapping around flutes after the gig and I must say I loved the honk Kevin got out of the Jezequel. He said it reminded him of his old Wilkes flute he used to play. He also said that he thinks the Grinter fits better into the Lunasa sound. So one for the session and one for the gigs I guess. Bleedin' luxury ;-)