78 RPM flute recordings available online

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Thank you Kevin, you're doing a fantastic service. :) :)
Mucky Duck

Keegan and McGuire

Post by Mucky Duck »

S1m0n quoted:

'Josephine Keegan (Mrs Sean McGuire), his piano accompanist, began her musical career at teh age of six. She studied piano, concert flute and won two Gold Medals for Irish Traditional Violin playing. Josephine first performed on radio when she was fourteen. She also appears frequently on British and IRish TV and Radio. [Notes to Celtic LP SCX 55, Sean McGuire Volume One]'

This would be remarkable news to Josie and she has never been married! Having met the late Seán and his (one and only) wife I can also confirm that she bore no resemblance whatsoever to Josie. :boggle:
The world is your lobster.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Keegan and McGuire

Post by s1m0n »

Mucky Duck wrote: This would be remarkable news to Josie and she has never been married! Having met the late Seán and his (one and only) wife I can also confirm that she bore no resemblance whatsoever to Josie. :boggle:
The notes are credited to "J. Harper and L. Daly", whoever they were, and appeared on a Canadian pressing of Celtic recording SCX 55 - Sean McGuire, Volume One".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kirikee

Post by kirikee »

I'm glad I found this thread! (I seem to find sticky threads almost invisible.) There are a lot of goodies on www.archive.org, and following the links above has been fun!

I really enjoyed this set of reels from Leo Rowsome
(pipes with fiddle & drum). I like the old style reprise of the first reel after the second.

By means of contrast how about this James Morrison period piece?

Or Tom Ennis (pipes) playing The Coulin?
Kevin L. Rietmann

Re: 78 RPM flute recordings available online

The Comhaltas Archive has a couple of sides from Michael A Glynn, unfortunately very brief even when you register, whoever dubbed them only gave us about 30 seconds.
woodfluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by woodfluter »

No comments here in quite a while but I have to say this:
THANK YOU!!!

I've visited C&F for many years, actually since Dale started it, and only joined the forums very recently, but this alone makes it all worthwhile. I've been looking for these old 78 rpm recordings for years, including compilation CDs, to little avail. Bravo for making them available. I'll be spending a lot of time studying them and learning. This is a window onto the state of Irish fluting prior to the "grand unification" via wide dissemination of (ironically) recordings. Personally, I really like some of the older regional styles that tended to be subsumed over time.

Regardless, very very cool and I'm extremely grateful.

- Bill
Kevin L. Rietmann

Glad you liked hearing these old discs, Bill. I hear from happy customers from time to time.
Séamusín

Post by Séamusín »

Just by chance, I just stumbled across your posts yesterday while i was searching for 50's irish music. Specifically the Cavan orchestra posts from 1955. I was delighted to find the site, and i am even more delighted to find the person responsible. Thank you. What Luck! I really dont come here that often. I was actually going to post a thread over at the session referencing your work this afternoon. Instead i will just direct them over here!

Is there a way to search for the full list of what you put up to make it easier to find them?
Kevin L. Rietmann

Séamusín wrote:Just by chance, I just stumbled across your posts yesterday while i was searching for 50's irish music. Specifically the Cavan orchestra posts from 1955. I was delighted to find the site, and i am even more delighted to find the person responsible. Thank you. What Luck! I really dont come here that often. I was actually going to post a thread over at the session referencing your work this afternoon. Instead i will just direct them over here!

Is there a way to search for the full list of what you put up to make it easier to find them?
About the only way to do this is to search for '78rpm Irish' in all media - not just music, that only gives a couple dozen hits for some reason. My contributions are the ones with the detailed descriptions. :D Most of what you'll get is me and the raretunes.org guy, who's a Scottish trad buff.

Glad to hear from another fan.
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

I imagine you guys have found the Library of Congress's National Jukebox already -- I search on "Irish" and turned up a bunch of stuff from the early 1900s, lots of which is our of copyright and hence you can listen online:

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/search/results?q=irish

They have a ton of stuff from all genres. I've done so many searches on their Italian genre music as well, and the jazz stuff is a treasure house as well. You guys have probably already heard all of this, though.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/