Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Posting clips

Post by Trip- »

piobaire mor wrote:Hello,
Here's a clip of two reels, the Liffey Banks and the Shaskeen I've put up on youtube. I'm playing a flute made by Glen Watson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAuOJOZsYc
It says the video has been removed by user...
so I guess it's not available anymore ?
piobaire mor

Post by piobaire mor »

Hello,
I took the clip down, I hadn't listened to it on youtube, the sound was terrible, it was peaking a lot. Any advice on how to get good sound from a digital camera?
Irish Marine
antispam: No

Post by Irish Marine »

Wish I could help with the audio, but I enjoyed your clip regardless. Good stuff!
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

This one is for the Empty Guru! Now I know right off the bat that the tempo is too fast, and on the second tune I am not sustaining the high 'a's'. But, other than that, go ahead and rip into it. If it strikes someone as being reminicent of any particular style, I'd like to know about it. This is recorded after two takes, on an non-warmed up flute.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/3oijpb0fjk

Edit: Removed. I just didn't think this was my best effort. Will try again.
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Azalin wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Azalin,

I don't have the Harry Bradley clip handy, theough I believe it is on the Tap Room trio cd. In the meantime, check this out. Start at 3:31 in the vid.
Arbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVqJDjohqk
Ah thanks. There you go. You see, if you listen carefully, he's not playing a triplet really, or anyway, he doesn't start with an A, but with a B, then C#, then D, which is the note on the beat. I think you do "A-B-C" triplet then D. My version is closer than I thought, but still a bit off.
Well, I was wrong it seems. I had many, many listens at James Morrison's version (he's the one who made that setting of the tune popular) and he's definitely starting the whole thing with an A but it's more like a bunch of notes played in a row than an actual even triplet. P J Conlon is playing it on the box, he must be pushing a few buttons in a very quick sequence. I will listen to the clip dozen of times and try to get that phrasing right, but it's no easy task. I'm really curious to find out what Harry Bradley does on the flute.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Azalin wrote:
Azalin wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Azalin,

I don't have the Harry Bradley clip handy, theough I believe it is on the Tap Room trio cd. In the meantime, check this out. Start at 3:31 in the vid.
Arbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVqJDjohqk
Ah thanks. There you go. You see, if you listen carefully, he's not playing a triplet really, or anyway, he doesn't start with an A, but with a B, then C#, then D, which is the note on the beat. I think you do "A-B-C" triplet then D. My version is closer than I thought, but still a bit off.
Well, I was wrong it seems. I had many, many listens at James Morrison's version (he's the one who made that setting of the tune popular) and he's definitely starting the whole thing with an A but it's more like a bunch of notes played in a row than an actual even triplet. P J Conlon is playing it on the box, he must be pushing a few buttons in a very quick sequence. I will listen to the clip dozen of times and try to get that phrasing right, but it's no easy task. I'm really curious to find out what Harry Bradley does on the flute.

Can you send me a copy of the morrison version? I can try to do the same with Harry's.
Arbo
fionnbarra

Post by fionnbarra »

Greetings from the west of Ireland!

Here is a link to some sound samples from the new Innisfree Ceili Band album. There are four North Connacht flute players to be heard in the mix....

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Of-North-Co ... -1-catcorr

Thanks.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

here's another composition from moi, (hope it isn't a subconsicous regurgitation of something else),

the first day of autumn
joshD

Post by joshD »

Nice stuff Rama!!! :thumbsup:
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have posted this in the past, but I thought a fresh take might be appreciated. A slow air entitled, 'The Clare Hills.'
Arbo
http://www.box.net/shared/2hvteb20m9
joshD

Post by joshD »

Hey all, I am wondering if someone could give me the name and some background on this tune in G? Thanks :D

http://gallery.me.com/joshuadukes#100298
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Not sure about the tune Josh, but it does sound familiar to me. I'll have a few more listens and see if it rings any bells. It sure is a toe-tapper. Great playing!
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

sounds like maybe it's lucky in love. a flutey tune, nicely played josh as always. sounds like you're getting on quite well with your new flute.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

That's it Rama! It's on Conal O'Grada's Top of Coom album. And I was just listening to that in the car yesterday :-? No wonder it sounded familiar.
joshD

Post by joshD »

Good call!!!! That's it. I had asked the name of it during a session at the Cobblestone in Dublin and I couldn't understand what was said on the recording. Thanks so much. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great flute tune don't you think?