Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Re: Posting clips

Post by Julia Delaney »

cocusflute wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 am It's great that more of us are posting clips. It's a way to build real community.
There are trust issues involved - that we trust each other to be supportive, and to offer constructive criticism.
There is no better way to learn than to critique your own recording, painful though it may be.
The musician's ego is fragile. Offering a clip of your playing to your peers is a great way to confront your fear of failure.
Thanks to all for accepting my modest efforts.
Thanks to all who have posted for trusting the rest of us.
My cover is now blown....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCEJ9eYiyEg
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

It's been 9 months since my last YouTube upload. It was about time for another.
"Jig of the dead" played on my favourite homemade flute.
https://youtu.be/eujGBKoP4rA
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well played
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Nicely played Sedi. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks guys, very much appreciated :).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

"Jig of the dead"
I'd almost be tempted to suggest you team it up with Coiscéim sa sí and make a great set for Halloween, A bit late for it though, but it will work well for all occasions. :wink:
My brain hurts

Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks - that is a good tip because I was not yet sure which tune might go well with it :).
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

A recorder piece called Mein Verlangen by Susato, transposed from C to G

https://youtu.be/WSckuGpXhfU
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

A Madrigal from the Trevor Wye flute book.
I'm getting somewhere at last.

https://youtu.be/GQlu4Nclv4I
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

AuLoS303 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 am A Madrigal from the Trevor Wye flute book.
I'm getting somewhere at last.

https://youtu.be/GQlu4Nclv4I
At last, someone who actually plays the instrument ! On another thread a member asked if he should post a clip and it seemed like the whole forum descended on him... and we still hadn't and haven't heard his playing :-?

:thumbsup:
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

This is another of my practice session clips, two minutes of recording on mobile and mixdown anything (just) listenable from that. I put this online as a thank you to Terry McGee, because I would not have made this flute without all the details he provides online. It is the Rudall based flute, and gives an idea of the kind of playing it allows, and some of the sound possible. Actually...I never finished tuning it and just took to playing it...another day maybe ;-) .

https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... k1h78FaJuk

Timing and so on...I am still learning this tune (Green Mountain) and finding phrasing... in fact I don't even know the second part at all. No effects applied.
Martisan
Tell us something.: My favourite flute player is Matt Molloy. I’m a keen flute player from Dublin and would like to talk about all things flute-related with other players.

Post by Martisan »

Hi, my first post here. This is me playing Tom Billy’s and Ryan’s Jig, which I picked up from De Dannan’s album “selected jigs, reels and songs”. Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/NmzEBhprt4I
GreenWood

Post by GreenWood »

This is a tune I like to play, I'll call it The Nightjar, but it doesn't have a name really. As it isn't a reel or jig I suppose it must be an air . Anyway, it gives one idea of how the Tuareg3 flute sounds when played a certain way, though it can be played more "open" as well ...it is just 5 mins of recording shortened, you can hear the fades between parts and there is a bit too much "bw" in the pronunciation in places. Recorded on phone no eq or effect change except a (tiny) amount of reverb is added to that present in the room because it doesn't sound like it was being played otherwise for lack of pick up of that background from mic.

https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... bfNB8RanmV
Martisan
Tell us something.: My favourite flute player is Matt Molloy. I’m a keen flute player from Dublin and would like to talk about all things flute-related with other players.

Post by Martisan »

That’s a lovely one, Greenwood. One of your own too I guess from your post? The metre of it reminds me of a slow air called Na Connerys, although they’re totally different airs. Fair play
GreenWood

Post by GreenWood »

Still struggling with this, so if you listen it is for the tune and not the playing. A bit of eq applied for background, and as usual on phone from best I could piece together of a few minutes of recording. For some reason I find the second part particularly demanding, am ok top of 2nd octave for other tunes, and sometimes I even sound like Matt Molloy for a note or two...for part of a note...I'm learning. I guess it is just the combination of the large range in short time, the cadence and trills that makes second part more difficult. Anyway, it is together enough to get an idea what the tune is about, and as a bonus there is probably an extra note or two added and I can't say any fairer than that.

The Horse With the Whistling Lip

https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 0v7jyJKcP7

P.S. Thanks Martisan, I just read your reply now. Yes, it is one of my own...well you know when you start just playing a tune it doesn't seem like you've made it either, but often I start with a sound or short melody that I like when I'm just playing freely and then take some effort to complete it as I think it all sounds . I will look up the tune you mention, I'm really quite ignorant of all the traditional music that has been written so far because I'm relatively new to it all... I tend to occasionally listen to tunes by known players and if I like one then will learn it and research it also a bit.

The sound of The Nightjar does come from that way or sentiment of music though, no doubt. The Horse With the Whistling Lip above, I started the first part briefly several months ago and left it at that, then I'm playing more recently and there is a tune that starts that feels familiar and I finish it and only at the end do I realise it is all continued from the previous, which is also the title.