Alas, my hands are too small

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
celtic_lass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alas, my hands are too small

Post by celtic_lass »

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't been around much these days (school keeps me busy!). As some of you know, Chas sent me a couple of PVC flutes. I can't play them! :( I can play the first couple of notes (even that was a great exercise for my fingers!), but forget about playing anything on it. But perhaps a fife would be better? They sound like whistles, but are played like a flute, right?
Sara
Jesus is the bridge beneath my strings, and the breath that blows my whistle.
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

Sara,

Don't give up on a D flute until you've tried a Casey Burns Folk Flute or a Burns Small-Handed. The Folk Flute can be setup for small hands also. It's quite nice.

http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I find a fife (even a "folk fife" designed to play in the first and second octave) a bit harder to play than a flute - they take a more focussed embouchure. Not impossible (I can manage, and my own embouchure is still so/so), but harder.

But just about any conical-bore Irish flute will have an easier reach than a cylindrical flute like your PVCs. I started out on a Dixon 2-piece and found that even a Pratten-style flute (famous for their large holes and reach requirements) like a friend's Hamilton was quite a bit easier to handle.

Currently, I play a Jon C R & R model (easier still) and a Burns Folk Flute (standard, not the small hands version). I have no problems with the R & R model, but even my rather small older daughter (4' 11") can play the Burns.

If I were you, I'd drop Casey an email and ask for his advice.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Casey Burns has a Web page where he suggests you measure your hand-span. He says if it's less than 7.5 inches from the thumb to the pinky you might fit his small-handed flute.

If your hand measures smaller than that, then you really do have a small hand and a small-handed flute might be a good choice.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Sara,

Folk fifes have a nice sound in the lower register and aren't that much harder to blow, especially in the lower keys. But don't give up on the idea of a full-fledged flute. There are other models to choose fromfor small-handed players.

As well as the other recomendations, take a look at Sweetheart Flute's folk fifes and Resonance flutes. The Resonance model is much smaller than my old Pratten style with nice small holes. It might still be too big for your hands, but check it out, what the heck. I had to get used to it being so much smaller.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
cocusflute

F flute

Post by cocusflute »

You could always play an F flute. These are ideal for smaller hands. Ralph Sweet's F flutes are inexpensive and play well even with an undeveloped embouchure. Copley's F flutes play beautifully.
You can use a flute capo™ (http://www.flutecapo.com) to get into the right key for ITM.
John Gribble

Post by John Gribble »

What on earth is a flute capo? (I couldn't get the link to work.) I'm a guitar player, so I know about capos and what they do. But one for a flute? The mind is boggled.

And Sara, I struggled with a PVC flute in D, too. The Casey Burns Folk Flute was the solution for me.

Or consider a higher-pitched PVC flute with offset holes.
John Gribble
gribblej@gol.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Sara, don't give up based on the stretch of the PVC flutes. Even a "normal" conical flute will be much easier on the hands. Also, you might want to give it some time. When my wife first started on the wooden flute she found the stretch very difficult. Now she's playing an A415 traverso, which has a stretch somewhat larger than the first wooden flute that bothered her.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I agree with Chas. Give it some time. There aren't many things you do with your hands on a daily basis that require them to stretch like they do when fingering a flute. You should find that if you work at it on a regular basis, the flexibility of your hands, and therefore your stretch, will increase.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I agree with Chas. Give it some time. There aren't many things you do with your hands on a daily basis that require them to stretch like they do when fingering a flute. You should find that if you work at it on a regular basis, the flexibility of your hands, and therefore your stretch, will increase.
Flauta dolce

IT'S ALRIGHT

Post by Flauta dolce »

I THOUGH I HAD THAT PROBLEM AT THE START. YOU WILL GET USED TO THE STRETCH, TRY GETTING A FEW LESSONS.

GOOD LUCK. :)
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Re: F flute

Post by lesl »

cocusflute wrote: You can use a flute capo™ (http://www.flutecapo.com) to get into the right key for ITM.
lol and I thought I was the one who made that up. :lol:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

why not a full-sized Siccama flute?

would work perfecdtly and you'd get to play in D with everyone else!

dm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, dear! Don't give up so soon!

Hands don't automatically fit this instrument. You have to work at it a bit every day for a while. It may seem impossible, but your hands will adapt to the flute in time.

Cylindrical PVC flutes can be a bit large. It will be easier if you play using piper grip. Cover the holes with the second joint of your fingers rather than the tips.

One of Mr. Burns' fine small-handed flutes will likely suit you just fine. They are narrower and the holes are smaller, so your little fingers won't poke inside.
Cotelette d'Agneau
jazzman

Fifes and things

Post by jazzman »

I also play the fife, in addition to the I Flute...it does indeed have closer spaced fingerings and is played in a transverse position, as the flute. I also find it an enjoyable instrument to play, though the pitch is quite high....and it is also an enharmonic instrument, i.e., played with a limit of accidentals.