Who's got the Delrin Olwell?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Jayhawk wrote:Loren - I recall Chris disliking the Ward and wanting a Seery as well. Perhaps Jim is simply trying to cover up the fact that HE has the delrin Olwell and doesn't want to admit it. :P

Eric
I can confirm that Chris did sell his Ward because he didn't like it, and I just recently found out why from the person who bought it (and is delighted with it by the way) since replacing the cork on the tenons and the flute doesn't leak anymore!
Loren wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:Loren - I thought Chris got a hold of a Seery for his African walkabout, but maybe Jim is right.

Have you PM'd Jessie? She drops by from time to time.

BTW - sorry you lost the "r" in your name and hope you find it soon.

Eric
Dude, I had to sell the "r" - times have been tough - but I will be looking to buy a used "r" in the near future, to replace the one I sold, if you happen to know of anyone.....Loren
Hey Loen, I've got an extra "r" I can let you have cheap...Bary...see, no sweat!
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Oh heck, it was Aaron not Jim...maybe I just enjoy blaming Jim since taunting philosophers is a hobby of mine.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

'A poet can survive anything but misprint,' Oscar Wilde
said.

Conversely a philosopher can survive anything
but being read.

I do wish I had the delrin flute, but no such luck.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Tom Madden in new jersey is the owner of the delrin Olwell (and sessions with it often, so it's not a secret)
I've played it; marvelous flute.

Tom doesn't appear here much, but you can try him there or via woodenflute.

dm
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

David Migoya wrote: I've played it; marvelous flute.
dm
And I should have charged you for the privilege considering the enthusiasm with which you bid against me on eBay :)

Loren, you can drop me a note at tamadden at comcast.net

All the best,

Tom
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

you did charge me, Tom
you made me make sure I was playing well that day!

:)
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

By the way, I'll have it with me at the CCE Convention in Atlanta in two weeks:

www.irelandindixie.com

as well as my Terry McGee 7 key Rudall Improved in cocus - the Olwell is my "beater" by virtue of the Delrin. I am out of the flute buying business - I could not be happier than I am with these two magnificent flutes.

If anyone wants to give them a try, c'mon down to Atlanta.

All the best,

Tom
jehanna
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jehanna »

I will be there, working probably, but not too hard.
look forward to hearing you play. This is going to be too much fun.
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

I'll be the short fat bald guy sitting behind Mike Simpson so he gets blamed for all my squeaking and squawking :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sorry for the delayed reply:

D.M. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom, I'll send you an email shortly.

Loren
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hey folks, long time! Funny I should check out this particular thread and find not only that I was being mentioned but that my uncle, who I haven't seen in some years, is now posting on Chiff and Fipple. :) Chip, avoid the dark-side... stay away from Chiff and Fipple.

As for me, no, I don't have the delrin Olwell and I'm darn sorry I don't. I always told Jessie I would buy it ever she ever put it up for sale... I'm disappointed that didn't happen, but that's life.

The Seery I gave to a good friend, a remarkable fiddle, guitar and whistle player from Vermont named Geordie Lynd - he wanted to learn flute so I figured he'd need one to learn on. I haven't seen him since then, around two and a half years ago, but I imagine he's pretty darn good on it.

Yeah, the Ward didn't play properly for me. I'm happy to hear that the person who bought it managed to resolve the problem and is really enjoying it.

As for myself, I'm still in northern Uganda. I tried to escape to South Darfur back in October but unfortunately the organization I am now working with (I left UNICEF), the Norwegian Refugee Council, was kicked out by hostile Sudanese authorities just three days before my intended deployment. Now I'm running a program providing information, counseling and legal assistance (particular around the return process) to displaced populations in the two most conflict affected districts, Kitgum and Pader. It's good work, but I'm ready to head somewhere new, and I miss home a lot.

As for music, I play my trust Olwell blackwood Pratten, with sections in D, Eb and C. It's held up like a champ through Mexico, Costa Rica, New Hampshire in summer and winter, Ireland, Germany, South Africa, Rwanda and Uganda. The only problem I've had at all is that the cork tends to erode in humid settings and I've had to have them replaced a few times. It's an amazing flute and the more I play it the more I love it.

Well, it's the end of a long day and time for me to head home. Good to drop in and see so many of the old crew around. All my best to all of you (especially my Uncle Chip and good pal Loren).

Peace,
Chris
carrie

Post by carrie »

Chris! How nice to "hear your voice" and hear of the good work you are doing. All best wishes!
/cf
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wow, Chris, your life sure sounds interesting! I hope you get to move along, as you want to do, soon.
ChrisLaughlin wrote:I always told Jessie I would buy it ever she ever put it up for sale... I'm disappointed that didn't happen, but that's life.
Many people wanted that flute (and other flutes I had at various times). I don't remember hearing from you about it until it was already listed (and bid on) on eBay, but if it was important to you, your memory about it is most likely better than mine. In any case, I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted.
~JessieD
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

ChrisLaughlin wrote: Yeah, the Ward didn't play properly for me. I'm happy to hear that the person who bought it managed to resolve the problem and is really enjoying it.
And that was me. Good to hear from you. Yeh, Paddy recorked it and that brought it back to life. What a cool thread tracing flute ownerships! Funny Tom ending up with the delrin olwell. He was The Lambe Man back in the day when I was an M&E Girl. 8)
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hello folks... thanks so much for all the kind greetings :) I'll send you all individual responses at a later date.

I'm busy, busy, busy, procrastinating in the middle of my work day (C&F is fantastic for that), so I'm just dropping a quick note.

Jessie, I just wanted to let you know that there are absolutely no hard feelings about the flute and that you're right... almost all of us wanted almost all of your flutes almost all of the time, and you were absolutely right to sell them in the way that you did. I would have certainly done the same. I did bid on the Olwell, and was certain I'd placed the high bid, but Tom got it at the last minute and good for him.... that's the way it works. I continue to hope that maybe, someday, Patrick will decide he his willing to make one more in delrin, in special consideration, to take care of a certain humanitarian worker spending his life in places which are unkind to flutes... I'll keep hoping and we shall see. In the meantime, I'll keep playing my wooden Olwell and hope that nothing bad happens to it. It's a marvelous flute and I love it dearly.

All the best to all of you. I'll try to be in better touch soon. Thanks again for all the kind greetings.

I'm back to work!
Chris