Who's got the Delrin Olwell?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Who's got the Delrin Olwell?

Post by Loren »

If the owner of the Delrin Olwell is out there lurking, could you please contact me via email (I often can't access my pm's when using public computers)? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Loren
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

There's only one?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

He made one for Jessie K and then apparently swore
off working with Delrin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pat told me delrin was "icky" to work with. Technical term, no doubt.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Didn't young Mr. Laughlin take it to Africa?
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Jim wrote
"He made one for Jessie K and then apparently swore
off working with Delrin."

I agree with Pat's assessment of the stuff. Its horrible, hard on the tools, and smells like a chemical plant when worked. Plastics in general are horrible. Much nicer to work in wood. Makes a much nicer flute, too.

Similarly (related to another thread) carbon fiber is another dead end for flute making, even though some modern flute makers are doing stuff with it. Its the kind of thing that lends itself to large tooling setups and investments, similar to injection molding. Thus until someone spends the money, it won't happen. I personally don't think that the simple system flute market is large enough to support this, or it would have been done already.

Wood has always been available. As one species becomes unavailable (such as my current situation with Mopane, thanks to the Asians discovering it as a substitute for jade, according to some African contacts of mine), others fill in. If I can't get exotics, I can still go out and get my own Pacific Coast species if I have to, using a firewood permit if required. Black Locust grows like a week in my neighborhood and makes a decent flute.

Thus I for one will never use plastic for the flutes I sell. I do want to make one out of clear acrylic someday, just to have one for some acoustical studies.

Casey
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have to agree with Casey that working with plastics is problematic. I haven't worked with delrin, but pvc, although it varies quite a bit from piece to piece, isn't very easy to machine. Also, when I cut it with a miter saw or turn it with a lathe, I use a mask with a chemical filter, as vinyl chloride gas is given off as the material is cut into. However, I do think that pvc and delrin flutes are good sounding flutes and have their place alongside wooden and metal flutes.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Didn't young Mr. Laughlin take it to Africa?
Did he? For some reason I didn't think he ended up as the owner, but I could easily be mistaken. Geeze, I haven't spoken with Chris for a long time, good reason to write to him and see how he's doing.

Thanks for the lead AM, I'll try to follow-up on that. If anyone else has any info on the whereabouts of this particular flute, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Loen
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren - I thought Chris got a hold of a Seery for his African walkabout, but maybe Jim is right.

Have you PM'd Jessie? She drops by from time to time.

BTW - sorry you lost the "r" in your name and hope you find it soon.

Eric
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jayhawk wrote:Loren - I thought Chris got a hold of a Seery for his African walkabout, but maybe Jim is right.

Have you PM'd Jessie? She drops by from time to time.

BTW - sorry you lost the "r" in your name and hope you find it soon.

Eric
Dude, I had to sell the "r" - times have been tough - but I will be looking to buy a used "r" in the near future, to replace the one I sold, if you happen to know of anyone.....

I was thinking the same thing, that Chris ended up with a Seery for his travels. I seemed to remember he bought a Delrin Ward which he sold in order to get the Seery. Well, that was my recollection anyway, but things do get fuzzy over time.

Contacting Jessie is not an option for me, so I'll have to rely on information from others.

Loren
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren - I recall Chris disliking the Ward and wanting a Seery as well. Perhaps Jim is simply trying to cover up the fact that HE has the delrin Olwell and doesn't want to admit it. :P

Eric
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jayhawk wrote:Loren - I recall Chris disliking the Ward and wanting a Seery as well. Perhaps Jim is simply trying to cover up the fact that HE has the delrin Olwell and doesn't want to admit it. :P

Eric

In this case I think we can give Jim a break, since it was Aaron who suggested that Chris might have it. :lol:

Loren
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Well, as it happens, Chris is my nephew. Not that I can shed any light on anything, as I haven't seen him in several years. I do talk with his Mom from time to time, and I can confirm that he's doing well, and still in Africa. Maybe someday I'll hear him play the flute! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

crookedtune wrote:Well, as it happens, Chris is my nephew. Not that I can shed any light on anything, as I haven't seen him in several years. I do talk with his Mom from time to time, and I can confirm that he's doing well, and still in Africa. Maybe someday I'll hear him play the flute! :lol:
Cool, it's great to hear that Chris is doing well, he's a truly nice fellow. And from what I can gather, he's out trying to do some good in the world, which is all too rare these days.

Loren
jehanna

Post by jehanna »

"Black Locust grows like a week in my neighborhood and makes a decent flute."

I assume you meant weed. I have a lot of the stuff in my yard (8 acres of woods) . we just trimed several huge limbs. Wish I could mail it to you but alas don't think that would work. I may put it on the lathe myself. Worse I can do is make a mess. Don't say it, I know enough not to risk my precious fingers.