lube for the tuning slide

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: lube for the tuning slide

Post by Nanohedron »

gwgtaylor wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:05 pmI know Patrick Olwell recommends no grease but I think he is in the minority on this topic.
Remember that some tuning slides are meant to be left dry; their fitting tolerances are so close that grease is rendered pointless at best, and can gum up the slide at worst. Some of my flutes required slide grease, and some did not; those that did already came pre-greased, and for me that settled that. The ones meant to be left dry never seized up for me ever, and this over many years; those slides were made all of sterling silver, and not only by Olwell. In fact, to memory all of the high-end flutes I've played had dry slides of sterling, so I think your assertion that Pat's is a minority opinion is arrived at a bit hastily; it's more a matter of how and with what the slide's constructed. The slides requiring grease were of a slightly looser tolerance without it, and were usually a combination of brass inner and nickel silver outer; if I'm not mistaken, the latter combination of contrasting metals would be more prone to galvanic corrosion, so not only for filling the gap between, with materials like that the grease would be a must. Where's a metallurgist when you need one?

But most of this has already been covered earlier in the topic, and by more knowledgeable people than I, I would assure you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: lube for the tuning slide

Post by Terry McGee »

Ooh, we were always taught never to leave metals in contact without lubrication. Especially in the presence of moisture. And particularly in the presence of contaminated moisture. The air we breath out contains not just CO2, Nitrogen and water vapour, but sticky contaminants as well. These is what can build up and lock your slides, particularly if the slides have little clearance. And moving unlubricated slides will increase wear. So, I'm for regularly cleaning the slide (a rag damped in alcohol dissolves the goup best), putting a spot of cork grease on and working it around to distribute the grease to all the mating surface. Do this whenever you do other regular maintenance or as soon as you feel the slide is "grabbing". The flute will thank you by making setting up the embouchure angle and slide opening. I would be astounded if any mating slide didn't have room for lubricant - we're talking molecular levels here, not gobs!

I think the argument against lubrication arose in the Boehm flute world where the head is stored removed from its mating slide. Lubrication in that situation will pick up dust, fragments of case lining, etc. With the Boehm flute, give both slides (end of head and socket on body) a clean each time you put it away to remove any sticky stuff. And the foot tenon and socket as well. Or you'll find it getting harder to rotate the foot for best key access!