Some things just never go away....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eivind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Some things just never go away....

Post by Eivind »

@Anvil:
Actually, I attended a workshop with JL Veillon once, but we were too many there to get much private attention.
At least us blokes, anyway :) He said my holding and posture was fine; but I guess it's a matter of pretty fine tuning before I make the LH strain go away.

edit: typo
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Well ok then, your call, but it would end the question of what you are doing now.

Three years and it still hurts?

You are doing something wrong.

Dave M. gave some great pointers.

He is an outstanding player, quite brilliant in fact.

He is fully qualified to give advice.

I would like to point out for everyone that isn't sure... occasional heartbreaks in the beginning aside, generally it shouldn't hurt to play flute:)

Make it not hurt and you should be fine, theoretically.

Of course, I am no expert. :)

"Doc! It hurts when I do this!"

"Well, stop doing that then!"

Best of luck!

:thumbsup:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Sounds good,
I think you ARE an expert :)

Cheers;
Eivind
Cork

Post by Cork »

Eivind wrote:...Still cramping up, though. But I'm experimenting with thumb positions, and every now and then I find a good one.
When I do, it mostly feels like I'm accidentally gonna drop the flute. But the hands feel loose, and the thumb does not strain...
(Disclaimer: the following does not represent certain "traditional" ITM flute playing techniques, but they otherwise darn sure work!)

Thumb positions, as in plural? Well, it's possible to completely eliminate one of those thumb positions immediately. Simply, the upper hand thumb is not used to hold the flute, at all, not on any transverse flute. One problem solved!

About the lower hand thumb, some players keep their thumb out at the side of their hand, and some keep their thumb out so far to the side of their hand that they then use their pinky to help hold the flute. If that's what you're doing, then try this. Tuck your thumb under the palm of your hand, so that the tip of your thumb is roughly between the first and second fingers, and I say roughly because the exact position is one you will need to find for yourself. Yes, it's an awkward position for the thumb to be in, and it may take some getting used to, but that's what works (further explanation on request).

Beyond that, a flute simply doesn't weigh all that much, so it really doesn't take all that much strength to hold it, and, it really doesn't take all that much strength to seal the tone holes, either. So, what you're after is to use the least amount of strength necessary to hold and to finger the flute.
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

I'm talking about the upper hand thumb.
And as I already indicated, it is getting that one out of the way,
while maintaining balance of the flute, that's the issue.
It feels good to have it there, but eventually; it cramps up.
Bad habits can be really difficult to leave behind.

That's what I'm working on, and that's where I am occasionally getting somewhere.
And yes, what you say makes perfectly sense!

E.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Although some traditional players do use their upper hand thumb, try resting the flute on the base of your upper hand index finger, just above the knuckle.
MeaghanEryn

Post by MeaghanEryn »

I have both some suggestions and some questions of my own:

Suggestions: On a classical flute, there should be 3 (4) main balance points: 1. the RH thumb, placed, as someone mentioned, somewhere under the index and middle finger (on a classical flute, the thumb and fingers should form a "c" with lots of open space so the thumb isn't cramped up, but since we don't really have keys to worry about here there are probably other ways of placing the right hand) 2. the base of the LH index finger (though, again, wooden flutes generally don't have a thumb key to worry about). Try to get the back of the hand at a 90-degree angle to the flute, straight down from the index finger so that the balance is Almost right under the first hole. 3. the gully of the chin. Some classical players put quite a bit of pressure on the face, while many others don't, but it really helps to add stability by pushing at least a little bit against the face with the RH thumb and using the base of the index finger as a pivot point. (4). The RH pinky sometimes takes some weight.

Having said all that from a CLASSICAL flutist's perspective, I have issues of my own to add. The balance of the wooden flute is quite different from that of a classical flute, and I find myself using my RH pinky a lot for stability--it is this that makes my hand cramp up (or at least get quite sore) after playing for a while. Is this an issue, or just something to get used to?
Cork

Post by Cork »

MeaghanEryn wrote:...The balance of the wooden flute is quite different from that of a classical flute, and I find myself using my RH pinky a lot for stability--it is this that makes my hand cramp up (or at least get quite sore) after playing for a while. Is this an issue, or just something to get used to?
Actually, the balance of a flute seems to depend more on just what kind of flute it is. For instance, it's not uncommon for a keyless flute to feel head-end heavy, as some have better balance than others, and maybe that's at the root of your using your lower hand pinkie, as to help compensate for the overall balance of the flute. However, keyed wood flutes indeed can exhibit fine balance, depending on the particular flute.
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

I noticed the thickness of my Reviol near the head joint is causing cramping in my left index. I know Gabriel had a similar issue. I will play with my thumbs and such. I never did that section in Larsen's book on finding your best grip. Should I look at that?
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
kmag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

It would appear that something must change since playing should not be painful. Many ideas have been given but I think you will find that the difference between pain and comfort will probably be subtle. Don't try to play through it. Practice does not make perfect but it does make permanent. It will be a shortcut to start over on learning how to hold your flute. A brief set back that will launch you ahead.