boehm flute + wooden headjoint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

boehm flute + wooden headjoint

Post by michael_coleman »

Best wooden flute headjoint makers for boehm flutes? Good ones? Cheap ones any personal experience would be best. I searched and can't seem to find it very easily.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: boehm flute + wooden headjoint

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:Best wooden flute headjoint makers for boehm flutes? Good ones? Cheap ones any personal experience would be best. I searched and can't seem to find it very easily.
Robert Bigio
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Check Mark Hoza flutes here

I know that Glauber used a Mark Hoza wooden headjoint for his recent CD that he mentioned here on C & F.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Here's a pretty exhaustive list of makers:
http://www.larrykrantz.com/woodmake.htm
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Chris Abell.

Although he ain't cheap....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Although he ain't cheap....
Cheap, no, but $800-$1200 is pretty much the going rate for a good wood headjoint.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

True. And they are good. I'm pretty sure that's what Brian McCoy ended up getting for his Boehm flute.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

Abell's headjoints are excellent. I recently played a couple Peter Noy heads, and they were really nice. Neither are cheap.

What sort of sound are you aiming for? A wood headjoint adds warmth and complexity to the sound of a silver Boehm flute, but the combination sounds nothing like a conical-bore Irish flute.

Dana
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I find the cheap ones to be not very good. I am also not fond of Robert Bigio's,

My favorite three were made by Powell, Peter Noy (<--by far, the prettiest and best-finished) and Chris Abell.
~JessieD
mcdafydd
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

Maurice Reviol states that he is making wooden headjoints for Boehm flutes as well. It could be another reasonably priced alternative but he doesn't have these prices listed yet.

http://www.reviol.co.nz/
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I had someone come by my office at work and saw the black and white pictures of people playing Irish flutes on my walls and she said she has always wanted to play Irish flute, but she plays boehm flutes. I suggested to contact Jon (since I love my flute made by him), but I also said there were others who made wooden headjoints for boehm flutes and that might be a route for her to go down. Does a wooden headjoint make that much of a difference to the sound of the flute?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:I had someone come by my office at work and saw the black and white pictures of people playing Irish flutes on my walls and she said she has always wanted to play Irish flute, but she plays boehm flutes. I suggested to contact Jon (since I love my flute made by him), but I also said there were others who made wooden headjoints for boehm flutes and that might be a route for her to go down. Does a wooden headjoint make that much of a difference to the sound of the flute?
I was worried that you might have gone over to the dark side! This talk of Boehm flutes and all... :P
Micheal, you will have to come by sometime and play all my antique flutes... :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Your friend might want to get in touch with Peter Noy. He sometimes has headjoints that he's willing to send out for a person to try. The danger in this for a Boehm player is that she might be wowed by the modern-cut head, which won't lend as much wooden character to a silver flute as a Rudall or Pratten cut, but will be much easier for her to play.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Cathy Wilde wrote:True. And they are good. I'm pretty sure that's what Brian McCoy ended up getting for his Boehm flute.
Brian is playing a prototype wood headjoint that I have been working with him on and is still a work in progress. The issues raised by Dana and Chas are very interesting - a lot depends on the cut of the embouchure hole and whether you want the flute to sound and feel more like a modern Boehm flute or more "old-style" with a classical embouchure.

Dave Copley
Loveland Ohio
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

OK, where's the emoticon for 'DOH!, a thousand times DOH!' I'm very sorry, David -- a million apologies for my mistake, and thank you for correcting me. FWIW, though I forgot who made it, Brian sure did seem happy with it in St. Louis -- and I thought sounded great!

And on the plus side ... Michael, I bet Dave's yer man for this (if he's interested, that is :-))

Again, I'm so sorry. Sheesh. What a neuron am I!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: