best place to buy a used flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Monster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

best place to buy a used flute

Post by Monster »

Is there a recommended web site that has a board listing flutes for sale? Maybe there are several boards?
insert uber smart comment here
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: best place to buy a used flute

Post by I.D.10-t »

Monster wrote:Is there a recommended web site that has a board listing flutes for sale? Maybe there are several boards?
I think that it would be better to look for a trusted dealer that has used flutes rather than a message board. Some flute makers like Ralph Sweet have a section for used flutes, but if you contact them directly, you may find that they may have a others.

Are you looking for something in particular?
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ralph Sweet's site, The Irish Flutes Store, and checking with makers who sometimes have used flutes for sale (Patrick Olwell comes to mind but I'm sure quite a few of the others do - at some of their own flutes used).

Eric
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Definanatly check the Irish Flute Store. Doc always has some good stuff in stock.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Aternately, keep a close eye here on C&F. I did a search for FS: FS "For Sale" in the Flute Forum and turned up 29 different For Sale posts on the first page of 16. THe oldest of these was in February, and there were 10 in April.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Dave Migoya at Fyfer-restorations.com often has a few for sale, too. I've conducted many many transactions with fellow Chiffsters; I'd trust just about anyone who lists a flute here.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Thanks, those are all very good suggestions.

I don't have a definite flute in mind yet; I'm just knocking around taking a look. I want something inexpensive, easy to play that sounds great! :wink:
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Been of to Music Folkes (you are in St. Louis, right?)? They often have a few used flutes on hand.

Eric
KateG

Post by KateG »

If you're looking for something that's inexpensive and easy to play, check out the flutes made by Doug Tipple http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/ for $65-70 he'll set you up with a great PVC flute. I started with one, as did many chiff & fipple folks, and like many of them I keep my Tipples for playing in places I won't take my good flute. In fact, I have 3, two D's and a G. The G lives in the house for musical experiments. One D lives in an outer pocket of my briefcase and the other in my car, where I can whip it out to play in unexpected moments of idleness. Although he makes them out of PVC pipe, he's a real musician and they are real instruments, perfectly in tune and with a very good sound. In fact, I'm noticing that the better my embouchure gets on my best flute, the better I sound on my Tipples.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jayhawk wrote:Been of to Music Folkes (you are in St. Louis, right?)? They often have a few used flutes on hand.

Eric
Yes, the city has a baseball team (that you had best support) and a huge friggin arch. :)

I had forgotten about M.F. thanks for the reminder.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Why would I support that baseball team? After all, the Royals are just so successful these past 15 years.

Eric
Monster

Post by Monster »

Monster wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:Been of to Music Folkes (you are in St. Louis, right?)? They often have a few used flutes on hand.

Eric
Yes, the city has a baseball team (that you had best support) and a huge friggin arch. :)

I had forgotten about M.F. thanks for the reminder.
I should have said that if you happen to live in St. Louis, it is pratically a requirement that you support the team. Even if you don't care about them, you still have to support them with tax dollars! (They have a nice new stadium that we are paying for)
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Wherever you go you won't find a better person or place to do business with than Doc Jones at

http://irishflutestore.com/

Give him a call and, if he doesn't have what you want, he'll look around and see what he can come up with.

the voice of experience speaks :)

take care

jim d