new Rafferty tune book

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

new Rafferty tune book

Post by lesl »

Hi folks,

I have some news.

I've just completed a tune book, "300 Tunes from Mike Rafferty". I decided to write up my first 300 tunes from him because people had started to ask me for his setttings (Mike's settings often are not the same as those found in books). The tunes in the book are transcribed note for note from my study tapes after I'd already learned the tunes by ear in lessons. (I best add, these include flute-breaths!)

This project is approved by Mike Rafferty and is 142 sides, wire spiral binding, lots of tunes, couple indexes and some notes on the tunes. Some of the tunes on his cds are included in the book.

It costs 20 US dollars plus shipping and handling. (the shipping and handling costs vary by location and number of books purchased). I'm hoping to get up a small web page soon that can show more information.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested, please email for details at leslharker at hotmail (dot com, that is).
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Hey Lesl, if you come to the next IAANJ session, you should bring one.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Can you tease us by posting a page, or part of a page?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

is it also possible to get ( buy) the tapes from wich you transcribe tunes?
marin
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

maracirac wrote:is it also possible to get ( buy) the tapes from wich you transcribe tunes?
marin
That would be a great help, but I assume Mr. Rafferty might want a cut of that. :)

Do you take PayPal lesl?

-Brett
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Tapes. I want the tapes. I'll pay. You and Mike ought to go into
business selling the book and tapes.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Tapes ?....He means Cd's by all means....there's nothing quite like matching books and CD's......(I'll even take tapes though...)

That means miking Mike by all means...at least that's what I think it means..... :-?
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, yes, CDs! Please do this, we'll buy them all.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Thank you guys for rather an overwhelming response in emails. Let me try to answer all the questions here, and also mention that I have not yet gotten to all the email orders nor the pm's - but I will steadily work my way through so please try to be patient..

QUERIES ABOUT CDS:
My study tapes can't go out, my stinky tape recorder does not meet standards. But, I've asked Mike about making a cd of some of the unrecorded tunes in the book. This would be separate to the book if so - it would be his own project. We'll have to just wait and see on that. Meanwhile, some of the tunes on his cds are in the book.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to discuss payment on the board. Please email me with payment queries at leslharker at ....hotmail... etc (you know, dot com) (Dale feel free to jump in here!) To be very brief, paypal yes, credit card no.

My dear family is working on a web page to show more details and I will certainly request a page of the book to be put in there. Also it will hopefully include a table of contents to show which are the 300 tunes.

And yes, I'll bring some to the IAANJ next time I am up there. Also I will bring some to the Ull Mor session in NYC 12th of Feb when Mighty Mike Raff will be hosting the session.

Did I mention thanking all the great people who helped me on this. In particular Mike Hogan whose great assistance made the printing run possible. I would list everyone's name but it takes up an entire page of the book!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lesl, you can talk money via PMs if you would like, or as you have stated, via email. Good luck with your book. :thumbsup:
lesl

Post by lesl »

Thanks Joseph! Dale has also just ok'd putting full ordering information in this thread. So here it is: The book is $20 us dollars plus shipping / packaging.

If you are not in the USA *please* send me your country/address so I can work out the best shipping rates for you.

If you are USA, I ship media mail to save you money on shipping. Shipping and handling via media mail is $3.00 (approx 4 days.) so it is $23 for USA.

Alternate payment method: Paypal debit (not credit). If you choose Paypal debit just let me know and I will send you an invoice from Paypal to your email address, to which you can respond with payment. Unfortunately I cannot accept credit cards but you can pay there with a paypal account or bank account debit in US dollars.

If you wish it shipped faster, or ready to order, please email me for additional info / my address.

Again thank you all for your patience, I'm wading through the orders as quickly as I can.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I already have my copy :party: It's a wonderful resource! So many tunes... I now find meself hoping I'll live long enough to learn them all :)

Thanks for all your hard work, Lesl!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I can't wait to get mine! I have been learning the tunes from his CD Speed 78 already...

Mary :party:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've just spent a delightful weekend (seriously, like 15 hours of playing and three soaked flutes) with Lesl's book. It contains about the most insightful and nuanced transcriptions one could hope for.

Basically, if you want to learn how/why Mike sounds like Mike and don't have an issue with "dots", this book is totally for you.

(Even if you do have an issue with "dots", this book is worth making an exception for.)

(Heck, this book is worth learning to read music for, period.)

There are some really fun tunes here; plus there are a lot of fresh, flowing, graceful settings of old favorites, too. They may not necessarily all work with your local session versions (the book's settings are often much more inventive!), but they make nice solo or party pieces.

Plus, you will learn a LOT -- in my case, I've had endless fun working on new ways to approach tunes I used to play in my sleep.

(although this book has kept me up waaaaay past my bedtime for 2 nights now)

Bottom line: if you are a flute player and do not get one you are a mad eejit.

(can you tell I'm very excited about this book?) :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
lesl

Post by lesl »

Just a quick note to say that Ossian USA is now also accepting orders for the book. Its under "new books".

Thanks again folks!