More bottom hand grip

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

More bottom hand grip

Post by Jumbuk »

I have been using the style of bottom hand grip (RH for me) that has the thumb and little finger steadying the flute. This works fine most of the time, but I run into problems trying to play rolls or strikes on low E. I find that if I don't lift my little finger off the flute then my ring finger is too stiff to lift and produce a crisp hit.

Gray Larsen recommends taking the little finger off the flute, but this doesn't seem great either. Reason is, my left index finger and thumb instinctively tighten up too keep control of the flute. This is especially bad if there is a higher note before or after the articulated E. Take the first phrase of the Ash Plant for example - there is a b then a roll on low E - I can't afford to shift my grip back and forth, but I want fast, crisp rolls.

How do you all handle this position?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

My pinky naturally comes up for the E roll. I do use my pinky to stabalize otherwise (like you're describing). In terms of tensing up... Practice the passage super slow and focus on relaxing the muscles in question. This is an issue no matter what instrument you learn... Just when you thought you had all your bad habits put to rest, you find another one! Just because you do something instinctually doesn't mean you shouldn't work at training your brain to respond differently... The flute is arguably one of the most difficult instruments to play... Issues of tension and the like are going to come up.

All the best,
SoTX

Post by SoTX »

There is an alternative, the "classical" grip. Larson mentions it as "French" without recommending it.

You say when you raise your pinky the RH thumb and LH index finger tighten up. Consider going with it, all the time. Push the flute fairly hard into your lip, using the base of the LH index finger as a fulcrum and the RH thumb as the lever. Hold the flute that way, relax the rest of your fingers (including the rest of the LH index) and wave them in the air. It's awkward at first, but there are rewards.

This gives you a solid grip that is the same at all times. It frees the "playing" fingers from having to support the instrument. It is used by millions of Boehm flute players, and was probably used by the 19th century classical players our flutes were originally made for. The important thing, though, is to relax everything but the support points.

It works for me, anyway. It obviously doesn't work for a lot of other people.

-- Don
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

McChastain wrote:The flute is arguably one of the most difficult instruments to play...
Are you actually so impudent as to imply that I am masochistic. Somewhat bold of you isn't it?

I mean, after all... My hobbies are learning to speak Mandarin Chinese, and recently, learning to play the flute....

Ummm... never mind....
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

a problem most folks encounter is that the ring finger is weak and does not like to move by itself, so the pinkie tags along with it. the solution is to train the ring finger to move independently.

an exercise to help this is to place your hand flat on a table, palm down, with all fingers laying flat and touching the table. then try to lift up the ring finger off the table without moving the other fingers or breaking contact with the table. repeat lifting it up and down to train it to move by itself, sort of like 'push ups' or i should say 'lift offs' for the ring finger.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I never have this problem, becuase I use crans on Es.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

SoTX wrote:
You say when you raise your pinky the RH thumb and LH index finger tighten up.
-- Don
No, actually what I was trying to say is that my LH thumb and index finger tighten up, because the RH thumb is not enough to steady the flute on its own. Perhaps that is what I need to work on.

Thanks anyway for the pointers. Yes, I am working on this slowed down, and I will get it right eventually.