Casey Burns flute in eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Silvio Zapparoli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Casey Burns flute in eBay

Post by Silvio Zapparoli »

lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

don't forget the 25% income tax...
Silvio Zapparoli

Post by Silvio Zapparoli »

lixnaw wrote:don't forget the 25% income tax...
Hi lixnaw! How are you?
I dont' understand... why income tax? If I sell private to private...

Rgds
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Hi Silvio,

any import from outside Europe is charged with about 25% income tax,
it don't matter if you're private or not, or buying from a private.
but there's some sellers that manage to escape these taxes and sell through a link in europe.
or if you had a good friend in America who bought it for you,
and after you paid him, he would send the flute as a present (there's no income tax on presents).
but if i was really sure, and wanted something like an Olwell, and had the money, i wouldn't hesitate...
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

In UK you pay Import Duty (not sure on the percentage) and also VAT at 17.5% on all non EU imports over £18 ( i think it's £18 ). You also pay Import Duty and VAT on the postage and packing costs.

If it's a present you are allowed a higher value, i think it's £28. But you're still supposed to pay the taxes for presents over this value.

This is fixed across the EU, i believe, and the only thing that varies is each country's VAT levels.

Sometimes things are allowed through without being charged as Customs may be too busy.

Also in UK, if Parcel Force handle the package at this end they also add a £13 admin cost for dealing with Customs on your behalf and won't give you the goods until you pay it all.

It's always worth checking before importing anything to the EU just how much you can get stung for.

I believe that it's also a federal offence in the US for someone to send you something as a present as you suggest, when it isn't.

?
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Returned Manufacturer's sample is how I send my stuff when it goes outside the US borders. If you do end up buying it Silvio ask the seller to send it that way to avoid dutys.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Avery, this is what punishment Silvio would be asking the seller to risk if he was caught giving a false statement on a US overseas postal statement...
The submission of a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement may result in imprisonment of up to 5 years and a fine of up to $10,000 (18 USC 1001).
In addition, a civil penalty of up to $5,000 and an additional assessment of twice the amount falsely claimed may be imposed (31 USC 3802).

?
Denny

Post by Denny »

...now that's up to 5 years of free room and board...

not to bad for some.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Denny wrote:...now that's up to 5 years of free room and board...

not to bad for some.
That depends how gentle your room mate is. :lol:

?
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

My husband has family in Italy and there is a huge list of things you are not allowed to mail there. Musical instruments are on the list:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclhk_012.html

USPS won't accept instruments going to Italy. I guess you could ask the seller to lie on the customs form, but don't be surprised if he/she won't.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

artsohio wrote:My husband has family in Italy and there is a huge list of things you are not allowed to mail there. Musical instruments are on the list:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclhk_012.html

USPS won't accept instruments going to Italy. I guess you could ask the seller to lie on the customs form, but don't be surprised if he/she won't.
I have mailed several Irish flutes to Italy by USPS without a problem so far. I use the letter rate for parcels under 4 pounds, and the rate is under $15 for one flute. On the customs form attached to the parcel I list the contents as: plastic Irish flute. I state that the contents as: merchandise. Even though I have been asked by buyers to send parcels as a gift, I have refused to do that. I usually value the flute at $40 to minimize any VAT taxes at the destination. There may be greater restrictions for flutes of a higher value, such as a wooden flute for $500.

The USPS mailing guidelines for Italy prohibits: Bells, and other musical instruments and parts, thereof. I don't think that this is intended to exclude all musical instruments but only special instruments that may be manufactured in Italy, such as bells and other special instruments not specifically mentioned in the general guidelines.