M & E with or without keys.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Searleit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

M & E with or without keys.

Post by Searleit »

First of all I would like to say hello to everybody. Second... Have any body in here got any experience with keyed M & E, or any other polymer flutes with keys? I've heard that they are very rare...
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Not too rare. I've got one. If you're planning on getting one, I'd suggest you get an un-keyed version first, since keys can be retrofitted at any time. Get used to the flute without keys first.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't think they are rare. :) I own an M&E 6-key that was my primary flute for years.

--James
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Maybe Searleit meant that keyed polymer flutes are rare... The only ones I have seen were one M&E and two Seery.

Does anybody know a maker who makes block mounted delrin flutes ?
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Matt_Paris wrote:Maybe Searleit meant that keyed polymer flutes are rare... The only ones I have seen were one M&E and two Seery.

Terry McGee website says he offers all his flutes in delrin as well as the usual woods.

?
Searleit

Post by Searleit »

Block mounted delrin flutes? Hm, sorry, can't help you with that...

Well... Most flute players in Poland have wooden keyed flutes, only few, 4 maybe 5 people (including me) have got polymer instruments, but keyless.
Henke, or peeplj could you tell me something more about the material, from which those keys (I mean M&E keys) are made? Is it metal, or something else?
fearfaoin

Re: M & E with or without keys.

Post by fearfaoin »

Searleit wrote:Have any body in here got any experience with keyed M & E, or any other polymer flutes with keys?
Here's a picture of one (from flutesite.com):

And here's M&E's price list. You can get 3 keys for $300, which will
only get you 1 key from many other makers... At that price, I doubt
that keyed M&E's are rare.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Here's my 6-key M&E:

The keys are definitely metal but I do not know what kind.

That flute is years old now--I believe it is the first 6-key he made--but the keys still work perfectly and have never needed adjustment or repair.

The flute that fearfaoin shows above used to belong to Doc. It is several years newer than mine.

-James
Henke

Post by Henke »

I think Michaels standard keys are made of nickel silver. They are manufactured by a company in Pakistan, but I think they are reliable and decent quality, Michael wouldn't offer them otherwise. The price is extremely low for those keys compaired to other makers.
My keys were handmade out of sterling silver, because the Pakistani company wouldn't make lefty keys.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Screeeech!!! wrote:
Matt_Paris wrote:Maybe Searleit meant that keyed polymer flutes are rare... The only ones I have seen were one M&E and two Seery.

Terry McGee website says he offers all his flutes in delrin as well as the usual woods.
Er. . . not without qualifications. I ordered a Terry flute last summer with some keys and inquired about maybe getting it in Delrin, and he said he would really not want to do that. I should mention the flute is completely oddball customized, and that probably had something to do with his response. But ya never know, so ask him!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Searleit

Post by Searleit »

I think that peeplj's flute have got brass keys, and the other one looks like nickel silver, Henke I agree with you n that matter ;).
If it would be sterling silver, it would have a diferent colour, although that depends - sometimes from the jeweller, or proper company, or whatever :D
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Wormdiet wrote:
Screeeech!!! wrote:

Er. . . not without qualifications. I ordered a Terry flute last summer with some keys and inquired about maybe getting it in Delrin, and he said he would really not want to do that. I should mention the flute is completely oddball customized, and that probably had something to do with his response. But ya never know, so ask him!

Delrin is kind of a pain in the neck to work with. Making key blocks on a delrin flute is, apparently, particularly tedious. If you wanted keyed Delrin from Terry you'd have to talk him into post-mounted keys (which he also doesn't love doing).

'Tis true the keyed M&E above n the blue flannel was mine. The keywork was perfectly functional and the flute was a good player. :)

I'd agree with the advice to get a keyless first then decide t get what keys you really want/need.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Searleit

Post by Searleit »

Yes, I know, and I already have keyless M&E :)