What makes you want to play?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
griff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What makes you want to play?

Post by griff »

My grandfather died recently (he was 105, so he was not exactly cut down in the prime of life, but we were pretty close), and I found myself wanting to play my flute even more than usual. Of course, the focus was slow airs, laments and haunting melodies, but I also played some other tunes that he liked.

It made me wonder though: what makes you decide to play? Do you play more when you are happy or sad? Dance tunes for joy? Or do you play dance tunes when you are sad, in an effort to overcome the mood? If you are lonely, do you get out the flute for company? I'd like to know.

Griff

(Edited for clarification--I really should proof read these first.)
eilam

Post by eilam »

when I don't play, it's a confirmation to myself that I'm going thru some down period, usually what I'm feeling good I play.
I don't think I can change my mood by playing, I may, by listening to music.
today, I both played and listened and life is good, I'm sure it will suck tomorrow :wink:
eilam.
baggins_21

interesting

Post by baggins_21 »

Learning the flute has come to represent something very positive in my life. Though I do enjoy playing, I really like the sense of accomplishment I feel during a serious practice session (or playing session with others--not that this happens much in China mind you). I set a goal, and I'm working toward it with discipline--is it the Dhali Lama that talks about the "work of happiness" and how discipline is really the source of happiness for us? I don't know, it makes me feel useful, and elevated, perhaps even noble at times.
I hope I don't stop or die any time soon; I've got a lot of music ahead of me.
Matt
Teaching in Bolivia--that's in South America.
Jay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

The music is on the inside. Playing just lets it out.

Jay
Wormdiet

Re: interesting

Post by Wormdiet »

baggins_21 wrote:Learning the flute has come to represent something very positive in my life. Though I do enjoy playing, I really like the sense of accomplishment I feel during a serious practice session (or playing session with others--not that this happens much in China mind you). I set a goal, and I'm working toward it with discipline--is it the Dhali Lama that talks about the "work of happiness" and how discipline is really the source of happiness for us? I don't know, it makes me feel useful, and elevated, perhaps even noble at times.
I hope I don't stop or die any time soon; I've got a lot of music ahead of me.
Matt
I like the sense of accomplishment that comes from internalizing a new tune. They're great (tunes, that is). They come in extremely brief but satisfying morsels, and provide a friendly learning curve. They can be challenging, and then become your best friend when you nail 'em.

I enjoy both performing and playing with other folks. I'm also a guitarist, but only a bedroom rock star. It's so much more satisfying to share one's music.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

I have had that experience -- when something is overwhelming, just playing notes -- not complete tunes, but just riffs and scales -- is something I have to do. It certainly speaks to the power of music and art to speak to a part of us that nothing else can get to. Even though your grandfather was old, and it sounds as though he had a good life, I know that doesn't make it any easier, Griff. You miss him a lot, I bet, and that speaks to the relationship you had with him.

So to me, practicing is something I do for my health -- like exercise and eating healthy food. If I don't do it for a while, I start feeling icky. (Now, if I could only start exercising and eating healthy food!)
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jay wrote:The music is on the inside. Playing just lets it out.

Jay
Yep! ...just gotta do it.

just to remove any chance of being overly subtle...
It is a have to not a want to.

Denny
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

What makes me want to play? Hmmm....

Being awake, being alive, breathing.

All strong emotions, positive or negative, make the desire to play stronger.

I play several instruments...many in fact. None is as true a conduit to or from my soul as the Irish flute.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

With minimum precautions, your flute will never die and be gone forever. It's always within reach, waiting for you to share your mood. It's your friend even when you hate it. It's safe to love it with all your heart. it's one of the purest relationships in your life.

At least, that's how I feel. :wink:

Cara
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Playing is a way to let other people know about me. It communicates what is otherwise difficult for me to express.
phcook

Post by phcook »

I think the most important is wood. Flute, GHB, UP.

I can take an instrument with me, on the knees, and watch a movie. The contact of wood is fundamental.
Breizh soner
Danner

Post by Danner »

This is all so beautiful.

As I just said on the whistle board, I play to as a way of sharing my emotions. I play best when I'm feeling something; I can't play when I'm bored. Playing is my way of satisfying my soul, and perhaps touching a few others' too. Music makes me complete, and gives me an inner peace and joy, no matter what.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

What an awesome thread!
Ditto all of the above for me.

I'll paraphrase some of the above from my own experience (and since I can't see the thread right now):

I don't play because I *want* to, but because I *have* to. If I didn't make music, I would surely go insane. It is my therapy.

The music is on the inside - playing just lets it out. (I like that one. :) )

And one from singer/songwriter Billy Jonas:
"Music comes from -- but mostly through -- you"

On the sense of accomplishment from internalizing a new tune:
I've found that tunes find me -- not the other way around. Often I discover tunes by reading sheet music, online, or stuff I've had for a while. I'll just be reading through some stuff, and suddenly one tune just attaches itself to me - like a parasite, and won't let go until I can get it out. Each tune that I really *know* has its own personality, it's own space, its own dimensionality, its own shape in my hands, its own emotion ...
You can never forget the ones that imprint themselves on you like that.

Good God - what am I doing typing -- I'm gonna go play!!

-C
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

I play because I get enjoyment out of my playing, and so do others. It makes me glad to brighten up someone else's day. :lol:

Also, I like how different pieces can make you smile, come can make you dance, and some can make you want to cry. A different mood is tied into each song.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

fyffer wrote: On the sense of accomplishment from internalizing a new tune:
I've found that tunes find me -- not the other way around. Often I discover tunes by reading sheet music, online, or stuff I've had for a while. I'll just be reading through some stuff, and suddenly one tune just attaches itself to me - like a parasite, and won't let go until I can get it out. Each tune that I really *know* has its own personality, it's own space, its own dimensionality, its own shape in my hands, its own emotion ...
You can never forget the ones that imprint themselves on you like that.

-C
I agree totally about a tune "finding" a player, rather than the reverse.

I keep on having this weird experience of hearing tunes I knew 15 years ago, but have since forgotten the names. They keep seeking me out.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.