First Flute queries...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JebusPaul

First Flute queries...

Post by JebusPaul »

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for asking a question that has probably been asked hundreds of times before, but I wish to buy a simple system Irish Flute, and don't really know where to start. I used to play classical flute, but gave it up because of time considerations. I found this on ebay (see link below), but my suspicions were aroused by the low price. Do you think it would be a good beginners flute, and if not, have you any suggestions. I live in Ireland, so there may be some makes that I would be unable to get my hands on. An feedback would be much appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

i wouldn't chance it Paul, they don't even mention the make.
look out for a Murray or a Cotter, free of cracks.

or you could find out wich sound you'd prefere here http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/
http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO_CD2.htm
http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO2_CD2.htm

i liked the sound of a delrin Seery, i bought it last month, it's not an easy flute to blow, but you don't have to worry about cracks either.
Last edited by lixnaw on Tue May 03, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JebusPaul

Post by JebusPaul »

35 pounds though... I was thinking it might do as a first flute before I decided whether or not to invest more money in an instrument I haven't played for four years. On the other hand, there's few things as discouraging as a poor instrument.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

At 35 pounds a pop, it wouldn't take going through many junker flutes before you'd spent the money for a really decent instrument. Check out flutes by Burns, Seery, and M&E, all of which make really decent session-ready flutes that you won't quickly become frustrated with, and also won't quickly outgrow.

The M&E and Seery polymer flutes are particularly attractive for a learner as they require no oiling, and really almost no maintenance at all.

--James
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll third the advice above. That cheapie flute may not even be playable (literally, it may not make a sound) which would lead you to believe you couldn't play a simple system flute. The makers above are good. I'd also suggest Tony Dixon's wooden flutes or his 3 piece delrin (his two piece cylindrical flutes are harder to play). You mentioned pounds...there are plenty of makers in Britian and it's a heck of a lot smaller than where I am in the US - could you call a maker and see if you could try one of their flutes? Check out http://www.firescribble.net/flute for a list of makers as well as a used flute sales board.

Eric
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Wow 193 positive reviews, half saying A+++ ... ...Since 03-May-05!
No sarcasm, never bought any thing on Ebay. Is this usual? I would be suspicious.

Post another thread and ask for information for starter flutes (if this one dies out) or search for Tipple (or any of the great names above). You may annoy people you will never meet, but it is better than being turned off from music.
JebusPaul wrote:35 pounds though...
I believe Tipple's weighs less :lol:

I do not play well and I am more of a fife user. Take my suggestions with as much caution as possible.

Good luck.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue May 03, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

JebusPaul wrote:35 pounds though... I was thinking it might do as a first flute before I decided whether or not to invest more money in an instrument I haven't played for four years. On the other hand,
This is seriously likely to be a poor instrument. As someone has already pointed out, you cannot tell who made the flute, but I have a good idea . . . the blurb has all the earmarks of having been written by a Pakistani. (The technical part about "what is a flute" is not, but it was not written by the owner of the auction.)

He's also got 5 of them available and they're cheeeeep! :roll:

(One of my little professional sidelines is examining transcribed medical dictation to determine where, exactly, and by whom it was transcribed, thus enabling clients to nail their transcription services for offshoring in violation of contract specifications. The transcriptionist always leaves a little linguistic fingerprint on the document--just as this guy has.)

Oh, and it's not Scottish, either. Little tartan snippet notwithstanding. I think I've seen the picture before somewhere, too. I'd suspect that isn't even the flute in question.
Jonathan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

If I were you, I'd see about getting a polymer flute from Michael Cronnolly (M&E flutes) in Ireland... http://www.irishflutes.net/
Great flute...low price...no maintenance
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Jonathan wrote:If I were you, I'd see about getting a polymer flute from Michael Cronnolly (M&E flutes) in Ireland... http://www.irishflutes.net/
Great flute...low price...no maintenance
Motion seconded. I could not be happier with mine, though I am planning on getting a much nicer flute now that I am sure I like/can play this instrument.
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

I can only sagree with what has been posted- my first flute was a cheapy and it was horrible. Yes you may get a good cheap flute off ebay but you might win the lottery too and you might also discover the ability to fly like superman - both more likely than the former. Spend some money and get something playable - doug tipple makes cheaper - but excellent flutes. Some makers produce bamboo flues too these also can be fantastic. Don't try and make false economies because you'll end up leaving your flute in it's case gathering dust, when you could be pacing up and down muttering and trying to get your latest tune just right like the rest of us
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

This is one of those Pakistani things. I know, for verily I have the very same. I am currently subjecting it to all sorts of abuse in the name of science.

It's a typical Pakistani flute-like object. Don't waste your money. If you have your heart set on a budget flute off eBay, one that will actually play, try one of these:

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

These have a very good reputation on that board:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WD2V

I don't know the Calmont, but don't really like their special look. Just a matter of personnal taste...

I just ordered recently a delrin flute to Jon C. I don't know yet how good they are, but I trusted the good reviews he got here. The price is a bit higher too.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I.D.10-t wrote:.....search for Tipple
Yes, if I were a beginner again I would get me a Tipple two piece in D
( flute with a tuning slide).

My recent purchase of a Tipple Eb has worked wonders with my ability to play my wooden Irish D which I have owned since 1993.

Hmmm .... why is this so, I wonder?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

That flute has about a 1 in 100 chance of playing in tune, and about a 1 in 100 chance
of having passable intonation, giving it a 1 in 10,000 chance of playing in tune with
passable intonation. Therefore, unless you have 350,000 pounds to burn on trying
flute-shaped sticks, it would be vastly cheaper to buy a reputable flute in the first place.
I.D.10-t wrote:Wow 193 positive reviews, half saying A+++ ... ...Since 03-May-05!
No sarcasm, never bought any thing on Ebay. Is this usual? I would be suspicious.
It's not abnormal. A 96.5% positive rating is, however, actually a terrible rating.
Also, this guy is mostly a souvenier merchant if you look at some of his other
sales (toy bagpipes, rabbit fur sporran, etc.), so most of this feedback is for
items other than musical instruments. Unless you count the toy bagpipes (which
do, supposedly, actually play, but are clearly marketed as a souvenier.)

My opinion is this flute should also be clearly marked as a souvenier. "Genuinely Appears to be
an Irish Flute! Makes a Great Wall Decoration for your Irish-Pub themed party!"

*cough*
GarryKelly wrote: one that will actually play, try one of these:
Wow, that's ugly. It is, however, ugly in that crafted-for-functionality
kind of way, so I suppose it sounds decent? Have you actually tried one, Gary?
I'm very curious. I'd love to hear sounds samples against the PFLO.
David Levine

Calmont... not

Post by David Levine »

Beware the Calmont and beware Mr. Calmont. He is a nasty fellow. The flutes are poorly glued together. He says he only charges £14.99 for the flute, but then it is another £15 for postage. So now you're up to a minimum of $60. The flute does sound, but I suspect the Tipple is in better tune and is better value.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.