G b key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andrewK

G b key

Post by andrewK »

I have an old English cocus flute of perhaps 1830 (- a fine player ) with a Gb key alongside the shaft of the long F key. Has anyone any experience of such keys ? What is it for ?
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: G b key

Post by Terry McGee »

andrewK wrote:I have an old English cocus flute of perhaps 1830 (- a fine player ) with a Gb key alongside the shaft of the long F key. Has anyone any experience of such keys ? What is it for ?
Intriguing, Andrew. I should like to see an image of that!

Terry
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: G b key

Post by Loren »

andrewK wrote:I have an old English cocus flute of perhaps 1830 (- a fine player ) with a Gb key alongside the shaft of the long F key. What is it for ?
Playing Gb, I imagine.

Loren
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

A good point at last, Loren.
Any further bright ideas on the subject ?
I haven't seen others. Are there many about ?
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

That is strange; how far from the tuning of F# is the Gb?

I assume you hold down the Fnat and the Gb keys at the same time to get Gb?

How's the temperament of the scale?

Stuart
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have seen a Boehm-system flute--I don't recall what make--that had such a key, it was an F-sharp key whose touch lay alongside the G-sharp's touch, and was used to get a pure third-octave F-sharp, since this can be a problematic note to hit on the Boehm flute.

I haven't seen a simple system flute similarly equipped, though; this is interesting. Do you know who the maker was?

--James
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Andrew sent me an image - very interesting. Easy to visulise - see how you have an F natural key and block between fingers R2 and R3, imagine you have another between R1 and R2.

The flute itself has small holes, so you can imagine the F# is on the flat side normally. Opening the extra key would at least bring xxx xoo up to F# and even beyond it to Gb (different notes in the days before equal temperament).

A key with its pad in this position, but with the shaft running down the flute to be pressed by R3 was a feature of Tulou's 12 key Systeme Perfectione'. That flute had even smaller holes.

Terry
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I say I haven't seen others. Shows how dozy I am ! I have a lovely French flute made rather later ( which is on the "what cocus wood looks like" page ) which has an almost similarly placed key which goes over the short F .
It is a little lower however - not in the middle of the two holes,so I suspect it will be more of an adjustment than a true stand alone note.
What do I know !!
This flute was presented to a Cornish Mason in the 1870's by his Lodge. I hope that the current Lodge in the relevant town ( Helston )will fill in the details if I can contact them. They seem to like their Masonic history!
Anybody a Freemason? We don't have so many here since the Police cleaned themselves up a bit, some say !
Last edited by andrewK on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A: Mozart was a freemason.

B. But Mozart's been dead for years

A. Wolfgang.....Gone?