OT: very cool optical illusion

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: very cool optical illusion

Post by beowulf573 »

I made one of these this morning and put it on a shelf in my office. Folks have been coming by and freaking out all day.

<a href="http://www.grand-illusions.com/dragon.htm">Dragon</a>

Give it a try. There's a sample video to see what it's like and a PDF you can print to make your own.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Julia C

Post by Julia C »

Gosh :o thanks I like this one.
John S

Post by John S »

Very spooky, nice one.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Woohoo, extremely cool! I just might have to bring out the old scissors and glue for this.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi, I put one together, it is better then TV! It would be cool to enlarge it to about 3'...
Thanks,
Jon
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

The fellow in the office next to me has always had trouble with the "Magic Eye" paintings and did with this too. He kept coming over, stare at it for a few moments then walk away frustrated.

Towards the end of the day I was startled by cries of "Holy Crap! Man! Oh, wow!"

He then proceeded to talk to the dragon, "You're a good little dragon, yes you are..." and then move his head up and down so it appeared to nod. He's an...interesting...fellow.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It shut down the hole place, people were just standing there with one eye closed, moving there heads back and forth... Looked pretty funny!
Jon
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I just made one. My depth perception must pretty acute, apparently, as I have to close one eye for it to work for me. Others don't seem to need to do this. VERY cool, though!
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Thanks Eddie!
I've been home ill for many days now - so this created a welcome diversion. Made one yesterday. It sits on top of my computer and follows me all around the room when I walk by; spooky :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Hope you're feeling better pixyy.

I guess it only works if it's in colour? I made one printed in greyscale and well, it's not doing anything... :( I'll try it in colour tonight when I get home.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

GaryKelly wrote:Hope you're feeling better pixyy.

I guess it only works if it's in colour? I made one printed in greyscale and well, it's not doing anything... :( I'll try it in colour tonight when I get home.
Nope, it should work in greyscale too, mine does. You have to cross your eyes like you do when looking at the Magic Eye paintings. For some folks, including me, it takes some time to get the trick.
Eddie
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

VERY COOL :o

First I thought it was a hoax as I folded the head wrong (not inside out), kept staring at it for 15 min and nothing happened. Felt very stupid. Rechecked the video and started to be more and more sure that the head motion was manipulated in some way.
Read the instructions more carefully and got head folded properly.
WHOA! It came alive!
Now he sits on top of my computer and carefully follows all the nice looking girls in the office. :D

Cheers!

/MarcusR
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Yeah, I have to close one eye too, for best effect :wink:

but it's still WAY COOL! :lol:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

OK, several days ago I printed out the dragon and put the little beast together. Since then, it's eyes have been following me around my living room, but, so far, it hasn't said a word or done anything else. I am a little disappointed; I was expecting a whole lot more. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

He's got a very knowing expression, hasn't he?