Flute Poblem :need a new one now

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TinwhistleJulian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute Poblem :need a new one now

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello Friends.
After 2 years playing the Irish Flute I gave the flute back to his owner cause he needs her back.
so I now search for a Irish Flute in Key Low D ,and its gotta be a less price cause I´m not bill gates.
If you want to sell a used one write me too.
greetings,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

What kind of price are you looking for? I need to know the range other wise I can' make suggestions. :D
TinwhistleJulian

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Well maximum is the price range of the crystal flutes, ca.80$
greetings,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
glauber

Post by glauber »

The only thing i'd buy at this price level would be a Tipple (ask for the Fajardo wedge):

http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

But a good bamboo flute may be an alternative.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The Hamilton Practice Flute is on the upper extreme of your budget at 70 Euro (maybe just beyond after currency conversion and s&h).

Bamboo is a great option. Just outside your budget is the Olwell bamboo which is THE best bamboo flute. Lots of folks have had good luck with some of the others which are well within your budget such as Steve Cox from Tallgrass Winds and Zacchiah Blackburn's Sunreed Instruments. I had good dealings with William Miller but he is often away from his shop on the RenFest circuit.

Cheers,
Aaron
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Patrick Olwell's cane flutes are great. A D flute should be less than $90, but, according to their web site, the House of Musical Traditions apparently has a long waiting list for these.

Steve
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I paid $96 after S&H (I think it was $88). I ordered from Patrick himself and I waited only 2-3 weeks but 6-10 weeks is average.

Cheers,
Aaron
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I was at the Maryland RenFest on labor day. Olwell was there and they had a D for $94. I bought a G and it it is very nice.

I bought it on a whim since I play whistle. I am able to play a simple tune on it already.

You didn't show a location but the Ren Fest is on through the end of October.

Ron
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

incredible! but you could also make a pvc flute by yourself, I have done twice and the results was not bad, large holes and quite in tone, with an external tuning slide too...if you have some good misures of the holes it's not difficult!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would say the Doug Tipple I own one and it is absoulutly great for the price. :D
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

radcliffe wrote:incredible! but you could also make a pvc flute by yourself, I have done twice and the results was not bad, large holes and quite in tone, with an external tuning slide too...if you have some good misures of the holes it's not difficult!
I've been trying this with little luck. My problem is my bits do bad things to PVC when they get to the inside edge. What sort of drilling instrument do you use?
I.D.10-t

Grabbing

Post by I.D.10-t »

I had the same problem with brass tubing.

I used a hand drill (not electric, old crank kind) First I drilled a pilot hole (very small hole to guide my larger bit) When i switched to the final bit I went slow, and at the first hint of it grabbing, I switched to a round file. You might be able to use an exacto knife with plastic.

(Even on the holes that were drilled without grabbing, I used the file to smooth the holes and bring it into "tune")

I enjoyed what I made and learned a lot about the spacing and the properties of a fife.

That being said, I do not like the "build your own" attitude because often the equipment to make ONE flute will cost more than a professional make.
(Good equipment is like a good flute, expensive) I already had all the equipment.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I ordered from Patrick himself

Is this possible? If so, how?

I had a remarkable lack of success in locating him, even when I asked someone who should know. I'm thinking I have the wrong kind of decoder ring. . .
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Mr. Olwell's contact info is on Brad Hurley's Directory Of Flute Makers. Just scroll down the list until you find Patrick Olwell.

I called him to verify prices then mailed him a check. A few weeks later the Fed-Ex man was at my door with said bamboo flute.

Last winter he took a sabbatical from bamboo so as to catch up on his wooden flute orders. I don't believe he does ergonomic finger-holes but he does offset the bottom hole a bit. It's a honker of a flute and with their backs turned I doubt most people could differentiate it from a wooden flute.

Cheers,
Aaron