Is anyone here into Klezmer?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JessieK
antispam: No

Is anyone here into Klezmer?

Post by JessieK »

I was perusing the internet, looking for Klezmer flute and I found Fleytmuzik, so I ordered it from cdbaby.com - I like the slow bits. I figure I should listen to/play every style possible on these wooden flutes that I love. My grandmother sure would get a kick out of hearing me play this style of music. It took her a while to embrace my love of Irish music. So...does anyone here play Klezmer?
~JessieD
Hip O'Potamus

I'd stay away from those KTM sessions

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

Talk about etiquette!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: I'd stay away from those KTM sessions

Post by glauber »

Hip O'Potamus wrote:Talk about etiquette!
:-? I don't get it.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I'm not sure I get it, either. But I think it's something about Jewish people having unspoken rules of conduct. It's certainly true. :)
~JessieD
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I'm not sure I'd say I'm "in to klezmer", but I have that CD, Ms. Greenbaum advertised it on the FLUTE mailing list (Larry Krantz et. al. moderating) and I bought it directly from her. I enjoy listening to it every now and then. (Just started up the CD here) If you read the CD notes, you'll see that all the pieces are played on Boehm flutes all wooden.

It's a very different sound than anything else I have. There are a few net sources for sheet music of Klezmer tunes. They also have a whole set of unwritten rules for ornamentation. I've played the tunes downloaded from a couple of sites, but I've never learned the Klezmer style.

A bunch o tunes at http://www.klezmer.de/Noten/noten.html

[edited to add the tune URL]
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I've got a fiddle friend who's alot into kletzmer. I'm not particularly fond of the stuff but it's ok, and can be fun to play.
I play it on Boehm flute tough, when I do play it. It tends to be very chromatic, infact extremely chromatic for folk music.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You may recall the Yiddish song, Donna,
which Joan Baez recorded.

On a wagon, bound for market,
There's a calf with a mournful eye...

I play that; I think it's Klezmer, maybe.

I play several Israeli dances on the street, not
Klezmer, but very effective on the
the wooden flute, too.

And there is a song we sang in
synagogue when I was a child that
I play on the flute, which is
very haunting and beautiful.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

glauber wrote:
I think it has to do with the session etiquette wrangling going on on the woodenflute mailing list.

Just a guess :roll:

Aodhan
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I'm not really into Klezmer but I am Jewish and every body thinks I am not I don't know why. :boggle:
Hip O'Potamus

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

Aodhan wrote:
glauber wrote:
I think it has to do with the session etiquette wrangling going on on the woodenflute mailing list.

Just a guess :roll:

Aodhan
Yes, Aodhan, you got it. What with the neverending discourse of what is ITM and correct session etiquette in one or more of the forums at just about any time, one could picture the same sort of thing going on about Klezmer. Perhaps I coined a phrase with KTM, perhaps not. Maybe there is even some Yiddish term for "Pure Drop"! Just think parallel TMs.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

KTM doesn't really work that is just what I think...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Jessie, you might do better on the whistle board.

Wendy Morrison (aka wendina) used to frequent the whistle board, but AFAIK doesn't any more; her website is www.klezmusic.com ; she's a consummate whistler and plays various squeezboxes. No flute, though. I haven't listened to much of her klezmer, but absolutely love the Celtic Consort, another of her bands.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I'm into Klezmer, "Russian Sher", "Rezele", "Hopkele" and "Baim Rebn in Palestina" are some of my Klezmer favorites.

That's actually why I started making whistles that are in Ahava Rabba Mode (Freygish) to play these easier. Learning the modes is part of the trick to playing and performing Klezmer, there's "Adonai Moloch", "Ahava Rabba", "Mishberak", etc. are names of the modes. They are named from songs in liturgical Judaism that use the particular mode. Also, don't forget harmonic minor keys as well.

If you know the mode, it allows for proper ornamentation (Klezmer ornamentation is different than Irish)

There's the classic Klezmer 1900-1950's, then there's Budowitz 1800's era Klezmer and then Modern Klezmer (a very broad term).

I like the classic era, musicians like Dave Tarras, Naftule Brandwein, Abe Schwartz. Try to play something like "Pappirosn" on a simple flute is quite a workout.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I like Klezmer music since I was introduced to it in graduate school some 17 years ago. A classmate of mine was in a Klezmer band in Toronto and being on the graduate entertainment committy, we hired them four times during the school year to come a play at functions. They were always a hit.

Now that I am the music librarian for our system I have increased the amount of Klezmer music CD's in the collection along with a lot more World music etc. I just did a check on the Klezmer CD's and most have gone out on a regular basis. So there seems to be a need for Klezmer music. And at the same time I have added some titles to my collection.

I would love to learn to play the clarinet just to play Klezmer music but alas I have enough to learn and play with the flute.

Thanks for posting the topic Jessie!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A local band, Prague 29 (or is it '29?), have offered up some fantastic klezmer music to the public hereabouts. I don't know if they're still together, so I'll refer to them in the present tense. Anyway, they're quite the classy act --they dress in black semiformal attire-- and have a flute player whose flute is backwood or ebony, and keyed, but whether the system was Boehm or not I don't recall. Given klezmer modalities, it probably was. Last time I saw them was a few years ago in a Dunn Brothers' coffee shop, of all places. Pearls before swine...