Rolls, Crans, & Pedaling

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
theotherleadingbrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rolls, Crans, & Pedaling

Post by theotherleadingbrand »

Please forgive me if the term “pedaling” doesn’t apply to what I’m going to ask about here. I’m new to flutes and don’t really know anything about Irish music at all. I’ve been trying to learn the flute by listening to CD’s. When I listen to rolls and other ornamentation, I try to copy the sound that I hear by whatever method seems to work best. I’ve found is that when I play a roll I have a tendency to raise the fingers that I’m using one at a time, e.g.: xxxxxx xxxxxo xxxxxx xxxxox xxxxxx. I believe the normal way of doing this (at least for “D”) would be as follows: xxxxxx xxxxxo xxxxxx xxxxoo xxxxxx. I’m not sure, but I think that further up the flute the rolls generally go from one note higher, to the original note, then one note lower, and back to the original note. One thing I’m finding useful, or at least interesting, is doing the first style I described further up the flute with some of the lower holes still covered e.g.: xxxxxo xxxoxo xxxxxo xxoxxo xxxxxo. This reminds me of a technique I use for bass guitar called pedaling. It is when you play a range of higher notes with the base note alternating every other note. I’m interested in getting some opinions on this stuff. I’m wondering what the pros and cons are of the different methods, and finally, what’s the difference between a roll and a cran?

Thanks
I changed my mind. Then I found out the new one was smaller and weaker.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

Here's a great website to check out; it will answers a lot of your questions: http://www.geocities.com/feadanach/
Good luck,
Gordon
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Also there is a book called "The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle" by Grey Larsen.

I think you would find it to be of enormous help.

--James
biliii

theotherleadingbrand

Post by biliii »

Last edited by biliii on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

biliii, I have a question.
I tought a cran would be longer than that. Normally the double time of a roll,
like:
XXXXXX
XXXXOX
XXXXXX
XXXOXX
XXXXXX
XXOXXX
XXXXXX
XOXXXX
XXXXXX

I tought this was a standard cran, but mabey it's just an option to make it this long. Have an idea??
biliii

Post by biliii »