Self-recording technology for the flutist?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ravelyn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Self-recording technology for the flutist?

Post by Ravelyn »

I'd like to try recording myself on the flute to help me hear what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong, as well as to capture some of my improvs, which I inevitably forget later. I don't need studio quality recording, but I'd like the sound to be good enough to hear what's going on as far as tone, pitch, timber and articulation. Maybe this is very simple (I hope so) since a number of you have posted sound clips of yourselves playing different instruments.

So, any recommendations out there for recording equipment, computer programs, microphones, etc. that are reasonably cheap?
Last edited by Ravelyn on Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Go therefore; but leave Hanrahan,
for I need all his mighty memories."
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

My Mac Powerbook G4 has a built in speaker and I use the program soundstudio to record. www.felttip.com The built in speaker records amazingly well. Well enough for the what you're looking for.

There are probably some free recording programs at www.download.com

As far as mics go... When I want to get a better recording I use an Audio Technica AT822.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTAT822

This mic has an xlr to minijack converter so that it can plug into your computer.

You probably don't need to spend that much on a mic though... Even one of those cheap computer mics will work fine for your purposes.

Best,
BillG

Post by BillG »

I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder, MZ-N707 and a Sony mic ECM-MS907. The mic has its own battery and doesn't drain from the minidisc recorder battery (when not plugged in, of course). Its not only great for self recording but outstanding for lessons, concerts, et al.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

Has anyone tried any of the digital voice recorder/music players such as those sold by Gateway? Here is an example:

http://accessories.gateway.com/Accessor ... ?ref=merch

I have been looking for some way to record a tune at a session or in a class, and then be able to transfer it easily to my PC so that I can slow it down with the "Amazing Slowdowner". From the specifications, it looks like this device should be suitable, but I have no idea of what the recording quality would be like, or whether it is really practical.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
BillG

Post by BillG »

Dave - It looks to me as if it primarily records music from the PC and not thru its own device. No mic capability. Claims good recording voice messages. Not sure its what you want but I don't have it so can't be sure my read is correct either.

Billg
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

BillG wrote:I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder, MZ-N707 and a Sony mic ECM-MS907. The mic has its own battery and doesn't drain from the minidisc recorder battery (when not plugged in, of course). Its not only great for self recording but outstanding for lessons, concerts, et al.

BillG
When purchasing a minidisc recorder, make -sure- that it has a mic input. Mine doesn't, it has a line input only, and has basically done nothing but sit in a drawer since I figured out that it's essentially useless for my purposes.

I have recorded to my PC with relatively cheap mics, and with noise-reduction you can get back decent enough sound. (I have a linux box and use a program called audacity, fwiw.)

ChrisA
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Hi :)

I got a pretty amazing gadget for xmas -- an iRiver mp3 recorder. It's got a 20gig hard drive so you can literally walk around with several hundred CD's worth of music in a thing the size of a cigarette pack AND there is a microphone jack that allows you to record CD quality, stereo WAV files that you can upload as files directly to your PC via a USB cable -- when connected the iRiver shows up on your PC as simply another hard drive so all you have to do is drag and drop the files. As if that weren't cool enough, you can also record directly as an MP3 -- that is, it will compress the sound recording to mp3 in real time: amazing.

The real advantage to this unit is that unlike minidisc recorders you can move files from it directly up to your computer. With minidiscs, you have to re-record the minidisc recording to your computer -- thus an hour recording takes an hour to get on your PC (my apologies to minidisc enthusiasts :) -- although I have heard Sony is going to be coming out with a minidisc recorder from which you can do direct uploads -- that should be great).

What's really cool is you can take the unit to your session, record the session, upload it instantly to PC then run the files through Amazing Slow Downer -- that way you can learn by ear the tune as it is played (often idiosyncratically) in your own particular session, which is crucial. You can also burn CD's of your session or solo recording.

Reviews for the iRiver have been outstanding -- it's a solid company, etc. The only downside is the price 300-400 bucks, but well, well worth it.

Good Luck :)

Alan
glauber

Post by glauber »

For recording with a microphone, the Sharp MD190 or 200 are hard to beat. Contact the folks at minidisco (sales@minidisco.com) and ask them what they recommend.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Alan, I've been eyeing the iRiver devices since they announced the 40Gig model. If you have time to write down your thoughts, pluses and minues, I'd appreciate it.

One negative I've heard is that you can't split tracks while recording, and maybe even afterwards to. Have you tried this yet? Or read the manual. :D

I use that feature quite a bit on my MD, but the benefit of having it record directly to wav or mp3, and then mounting it as a hard drive may over come my attachment to track splitting.

It would be great to hear a session sample too. I'd be happy to host a mp3 file on my website if you have one you'd care to share.

thanks,
Eddie