newbie flute question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
anton

newbie flute question

Post by anton »

Hey Everyone,

I played classical flute for years up until high school when i took up guitar. I now play celtic guitar and bouzouki and have been toying with picking up a beginner flute to mess around on.

Most of the flutes i have seen have six holes and sometimes two holes as a pinky extension. Are these flutes usually pitched in D and then you get other keys by cross fingering? Or do flutists buy different key flutes like whistle players do?

If you all can suggest any reasonable beginner flutes i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

anton
brownja
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brownja »

The two pinky holes are not played, they are vestigal from a C-Footjoint. Alternatively, you'll sometimes see a short foot joint with no extraneous holes.

A keyless, simple system flute in D will play easily in D and G (like a D whistle). To get other keys without a lot of gymnastics, people usually opt for keyed simple system flute (with 4 to 8 keys). Though you'll also see Eb and Bb flutes out there as well.

Good beginner flutes are the polymers. M&E, Seery and Dixon (3 piece, not pvc). Due to their relatively low cost ($200-$400) and low maintenance requirements.

A quick search of the board for any of those 3 names will give you a wealth of info.

Regards,
jb
Last edited by brownja on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Check out this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=16316

I am sure there are other threads out there the discuss beginners flutes.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi and welcome!

I agree with the above on the polymer flutes. All three are excellent instruments. Another good choice (make that fabulous choice) would be an Olwell bamboo.

As to the key question; my personal opinion is that keys are of little use in most IrTrad music. If I need to do anything chromatic I use a Boehm.

Doc
Henke

Post by Henke »

I agree with the statements about the polymer flutes. I have an M&E and it's a fabulous instrument, many people who own $2000-3000 flutes will tell you that the M&E's and Seery flutes can stand up well against any flute in any session (in the hands of a good player).
It sounds like you want to play irish and celtic music mainly, so I would probably not recomend a Bamboo or Cane flute. Sure, they might sound nice but if you feel that you just want to try it out before you buy a quality poly or wood flute, you'd be better of buying a PVC flute. They are cheaper, they won't play nearly as nice as a quality flute but they are good enough to learn basic embouchure on. Just don't get turned of by it and decide not to get any more flutes, cause a quality flute will make a hell of a differance to say the least.
Both Desi Seery and Michael Cronnolly (of M&E) will make keys for you, Tony Dixon will not. You can get a keyless first and then get it keyed later if you feel like it. Keys does make you a lot more flexible, if you for instance would like to play Fiddle tunes in A or song accompaniment which can be in strange key's, or not just limiting yourself to Irish music.
http://www.worldtrad.org/Seery/ Desi Seery flutes
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mandeflutes/ M&E flutes
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

I would also suggest a polymer. I prefer a Seery but haven't yet tried the Rudall version of the M&E flute.

Once nice benefit of the polymer is that if you decide to buy a wooden flute later the polymers are still useful as a travel flute since they are much more durable than wood.

I keep mine assembled and in quick reach for those times when I've got a minute or two free.

Eddie
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Seconding (since I lost count) the polymer and delrin advantages mentioned. The differences in tone from your wooden sticks are fine enough to be perfectly acceptable, and a well-made one looks as good as a blackwood instrument. The M&E RR is a bit chunky in design, though, especially with keys (I own and routinely play one), and I understand heavier than other makes. Still, it plays very well, indeed.

Please don't settle for a synthetic flute that looks like plastic (and they're out there)! That's just plain wrong. :lol: