Copley keyless blackwood flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kgharper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Copley keyless blackwood flute for sale

Post by kgharper »

I picked this flute when I visited Dave in March. It's a great instrument made by a true craftsman and a gentleman. The only problem is a developing alergy to blackwood. At first it was just my lips tingling after playing, but it's getting progressively worse, including itchy hands (except for the tips of my fingers which appear to be immune) The effect is more noticeable if my hands sweat.:sniffle:

The flute will continue to grow with whoever buys it. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been playing. If you're interested email me off the board. I'm looking for $750 and I'll pay shipping & insurance.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Copley keyless blackwood flute for sale

Post by Gordon »

kgharper wrote:The flute will continue to grow with whoever buys it. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been playing. If you're interested email me off the board. I'm looking for $750 and I'll pay shipping & insurance.
If the flute continues to grow, the new owner will need fingers that do the same...
:wink:
Gordon
eilam

Post by eilam »

kgharper wrote:
The flute will continue to grow with whoever buys it. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been playing. If you're interested email me off the board. I'm looking for $750 and I'll pay shipping & insurance.

If the flute continues to grow, the new owner will need fingers that do the same...

Gordon

Evil, evil, dirty rotten evil.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

See if you can trade dave for a Delrin head joint. I have a white delrin head joing that I love and Dave was extremely pleased with. I have played it so much that I am forgetting all about whistles.

Cheers.

Mark
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

But her hands are itchy too....

Mary
Henke

Post by Henke »

How do you know she is a woman Mary?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

:oops:

Sorry, Keith.......

Mary
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The solution is delrin fingers.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

This problem is interesting, except for poor kgharper who has my sympathy.

When we discussed allergies to wood on the whistle forum a while back, I commented that I'd never heard of a single guitarist who had a problem with fretboards which are coming into contact with fingertips all the time with eager players. I can't remember exactly what Loren's answer was at the time—he certainly had one that sounded plausible—but I think it hinged on the fact that the skin on the lips and around the face and mouth is more sensitive.

Well, now we have an example of hand sensitivity. So, again, why no itchy guitarists? My guess is that allergies are triggered by a certain degree of exposure. You might experience nothing for several months and then develop blisters on your lips in a few days which just keep on getting worse. My guess is that kgharper crossed the threshold through lip contact but once the allergy was activated any contact became insufferable.

Now nobody has suggested a silver (?) mouthpiece that keeps the lips away from the wood—less drastic than a delrin head and something I've seen mentioned here several times recently. I suppose that that still doesn't solve the problem for the fingers. But how do we know we have allergies until they are triggered and who would bother developing special mouthguards if, as I just sugggested, once triggered, any amount of exposure is too much? Any ideas? If we had an answer we might be able to offer some less drastic advice than just 'Sell your Copley.'
BillG

Post by BillG »

Doctors and dentists do well with fine rubber gloves and their work is very sensitilve. That could solve the finger problem. A teacher I had once used a Delrin mouthpiece on his flute and it was fine.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Henke

Post by Henke »

I'm sure some maker could provide silver rings around the finger holes. I've seen flutes which have these rings, espessially from the 19th century I think. That does not solve the thumbs issue ofcourse. Perhaps Dave could make thumb plates in silver as well. But they would have to be fitted exactly where KG holds his thumbs when playing. I do think this can be solved in one way or another.
sturob

Post by sturob »

BillG wrote:Doctors and dentists do well with fine rubber gloves and their work is very sensitilve. That could solve the finger problem. BillG
Yeah, go out and buy a box of latex gloves . . . that'll solve your allergy problems. :)

Seriously, I think BillG's comment is a good one, though gloves would only work for a short-term solution and they're always hot.

Whisky mentions flutes which have not only silver lip-plates, but silver tonehole inlays . . . cf the original Metzler that Michael Eskin has for sale. A great example.

Stuart
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Silver finger inlays ... sounds quite complicated. It will probably be easier and safer to buy a boxwood flute.
Besides, some people are very allergic to latex as well, and that may not only concern their fingers ;-) (huh, Stuart?)
Henke

Post by Henke »

sturob wrote:
Whisky mentions flutes which have not only silver lip-plates, but silver tonehole inlays . . . cf the original Metzler that Michael Eskin has for sale. A great example.

Stuart
Whisky!?! 8) :)
sturob

Post by sturob »

Your avatar is just SO distracting. :)

Stuart