Flute Weights Sticky

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TKing
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Trad music fan in general, fledgling flute maker and player. I am interested in all things trad music, but especially discussions around flute and whistle making, interesting playing techniques/issues, and tunes generally.

Re: Flute Weights Sticky

Post by TKing »

In the interest of science and data I’ll throw four up here.

First is a Delrin kelyless 5 piece long D foot, head fully lined with brass: 402 grams with a balance point if -28

The others are mine (why not!).

T.King 4 piece Blackwood integrated foot, partially lined head (brass) with brass rings: 305 grams, balance at -10

T.King 5 piece Blackwood with long d foot, partially lined head (brass) with brass rings: 330 grams, balance at +10

T.King 4 piece Mopane integrated foot, partially lined head (brass) with brass rings: 289 grams, balance at -26
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Rudall & Rose 8.5-key with fully lined original head, #1569, cocus & silver rings, 424 gms, balance point +26mm
Rudall & Rose 8.5-key with fully lined Patent Head, #1569, cocus & silver rings, 473 gms, balance point -6.5mm

(What's an 8.5-key flute, I hear you ask. All the usual 8 keys, but with a second lever on the Bb key to allow either L thumb or RH1 operation.)

So this flute can get away with the very heavy Patent Head, whereas my Rudall Perfected 6-key copy (previously reported) was too unbalanced by it.

The difference in weight between the original and Patent head is only about 50 grams, it's all about where you put it.

This Rudall & Rose flute is from about 1832, the year Rose patented his Patent Head, so probably a good example of the kind of flute he had in mind. It's about 24mm longer than my modern pitch version which no doubt helps with the weight distribution. You can see this head and what's inside it at: https://www.mcgee-flutes.com/patent.html
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:33 pm Thanks for adding those guys.

Bet you’re having fun with that C foot Charlie!
It's fun and frustrating at the same time. I have very little experience with 8-keys, and those were all Rudall-Rose style (or whatever the word is for that), while this is Boehm-style. I MUCH prefer Aaron's design, but it's quite an adjustment.

The bigger issues, though: I haven't been able to play much recently due to arthritic hands, and I've been playing mostly traverso, with a little keyless thrown in. Going from the traverso to 8-key is problematic on a number of levels. The weight (last weekend was oiling weekend, so I weighed several flutes then and will post), embouchure, but mostly hand position. I had the original (6-key) made with no left-thumb Bflat touch for just that reason. But the right-hand grip needs to be changed a lot because of the closer Eflat touch, the short F, and especially to be able to reach the C/C# keys. I'm getting it but not quickly. Of course the other thing is I was trying to play a lot of tunes I'd been playing with forked fingering, so there's a learning curve to learning tunes I've known for years. I'm concentrating on Playford tunes for now, but there are several Carolan tunes with low C's that I've been looking forward to.

I'm retiring in a few months, so will be looking into some classical and maybe romantic music.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Retiring?? What’s that? :really:

Sounds like you have plenty of time to sort through the challenges of adjusting to the new flute. I guess I haven’t seen Aaron’s foot keys, except on that wild birthday flute, which was pretty cool. Never been a fan of the trad foot keys, so I’m with you on that. I’m sure you’ll adjust before long.

Sucks about the arthritis :( a number of us seem to have developed hand\wrist problems over the years, but at least we’ve lived long enough to get decrepit! :party:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

chas wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:04 pm The bigger issues, though: I haven't been able to play much recently due to arthritic hands
Sorry to hear that, but me too, with my increasingly stiff, slow and unwieldy fused LH middle/index finger in particular now affecting flute more than most other instruments.
I'm retiring in a few months, so will be looking into some classical and maybe romantic music.
Took early retirement from my teaching job two-and-a-half years ago and don't miss it!
Loren wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:05 pm Retiring?? What’s that? :really:
It's great (apart from the loss of income you're no longer earning)!
Sucks about the arthritis :( a number of us seem to have developed hand\wrist problems over the years, but at least we’ve lived long enough to get decrepit! :party:
Yep, it sucks, but lots of things suck and we're still pretty lucky compared to many in living our relatively safe, comfortable, predictable lives in relatively safe, comfortable, predictable places.

While I first really became aware of hand problems beyond what I was born with in my mid-40s, it's taken another 15 years to make my flutes borderline unplayable and I'm ultimately just thankful it's so far had little real impact on most other things I like doing.

Anyway (seeing I'm here)...

Copley (inspired by Hawkes & Son)
Delrin D with short foot
Unlined headjoint
Silver rings
Unkeyed with LH thumb hole
294g

Delrin Eb with short foot
Unlined headjoint (shared with D above)
Silver rings
Unkeyed with LH thumb hole
276g

Solomon blackwood D with long foot and Pratten-style single-piece body
Fully lined headjoint
Silver rings
Block-mounted custom four-key layout (Eb, short F, RH G# and Bb) with LH thumb hole
380g

Bernolin (after Delusse)
Resin traverso at A=415
Contrasting resin rings
Block-mounted Eb key
298g
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

OK...I feel the need to improve the knowledge base on flute weights. One new flute, one antique for comparison (plus, they're the only 2 flutes I have these days). If only I'd weighed the small* treasure trove of flutes I've owned over the years!
  • Henry Wylde 8 key - Rudall & Rose Medium Hole Style, cocus, fully lined headjoint, sterling silver keys & rings (wide at top/bottom), block mounts: 444 grams
  • Copley 8 key delrin - delrin, sterling silver fully lined headjoint, sterling silver keys & rings, block mounts: 477 grams
Eric

*Small being a relative term, using the Dayton Miller collection as a baseline.