5 key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

5 key

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: 5 key

Post by Terry McGee »

What a fascinating journey the quiet little French 5-key flute went on, to find itself re-imagined leading Charanga dance bands on the former Spanish colony of Cuba. (I think it might have come via the neighbouring former French colony of Haiti.) Perhaps the most remarkable transformation was to the range, which was too narrow for the Cuban musicians. So often they opened up the size of the small embouchure hole, to improve the venting, and pushed the stopper further down the tube to enhance the upper registers, at the loss of resonance in the low octave. But hey, nobody could hear us down there. They can now!

If you want to give Charanga playing a go, you can find a fingering chart put together by Spanish Charanga student Pablo Nuñez some years back. It may not work perfectly on your flute, but it should get you into the ballpark:

https://www.mcgee-flutes.com/5keyfingers.htm