Lost End Cap

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cyberknight
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Lost End Cap

Post by Cyberknight »

I lost the end cap to my M&E polymer flute. As far as I'm aware, it's useless except for aesthetics. But I'd like a replacement, if only so that my flute doesn't look decapitated. It can be wood or plastic or whatever, I don't care.

Does anyone know of someone who would sell something like this? Are end caps typically standardized? Do flute repairers make them custom for people? Would this be expensive?

I'm in the DC area for a few more days and then I'm back in Boston.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Lost End Cap

Post by Flutern »

Do you know anyone who has a metal lathe? They could make one for you out of a delrin rod, it's easy to do and shouldn't be expensive.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Maybe ask M&E where you might get one? If they don't have local stockists, it might not be expensive to ship one by mail.

Sometimes with small components, makers are even generous enough to send you the item free of charge, if you cover the postage.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Try a whiskey bottle cork.

Someone the other day suggested buying a beautiful cabochon and gluing it to the whiskey cork top - malachite or azurite or rhodochrosite?
JDLeedham
Tell us something.: Upon a stirring in one’s heart, to send it forth with the breath through an instrument where you can feel it stroke fingertips as it becomes sound... is truly like having the ability to make magic.

Post by JDLeedham »

On my keyless old M&E I have a ribbed black, hard rubber, whiskey stopper, which diameter fits perfectly inside and out. I affixed upon the end of that a silver family crest button from the 1800’s. It also fit my Baubet delrin with both the inside and outside diameters working perfectly. I have a couple of pictures that I will send to the email in your profile as I cannot attach them here.
In any case all the best, -JD
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

JD...send me the pic and I'll host it online...I'm curious to see what you've got going on!

Eric
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

JD rocked it! This looks superb:

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I concur! Outstanding!

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Brilliant. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
crackedfluteplayer
Tell us something.: Watched the flute forum for years and feel I might like to contribute from time to time. I, like many others came to Irish Music and wooden flutes late in life but I am making up for lost time now.

Post by crackedfluteplayer »

Thanks for the tip about using a bottle cork. I happened to have an unopened bottle of Sandeman port in the house so I opened it and the cork looks great on an antique Metzler flute......I haven't tried playing it yet because I cant stand any noise at all today........