"The Craft Of Flute Making Co. Cork 1980"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"The Craft Of Flute Making Co. Cork 1980"

Post by kenny »

My apologies if this has been discussed here already, but I only came across it a few minutes ago :
https://youtu.be/VtgDccI93eo
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: "The Craft Of Flute Making Co. Cork 1980"

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It has, possibly, come up in the past but no harm in bringing it up, it's worth a look.

It's been up on the RTE archive for a long time:

Hammy Hamilton : flutemaker

Plenty of other good stuff to explore there too, eg:

Peter Horan : fluteplayer

Kilfenora ceili band

and loads of other things, Willie week 1978 etc etc. Enough to while away a few spare hours.
My brain hurts

cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Thanks for finding this and posting it, Kenny. If I heard right it was just 150 pounds back then for a beautiful flute by Hammy! A shame the video of Peter Horan isn't on youtube also. RTE videos can't be downloaded for repeated viewing.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If I heard right it was just 150 pounds back then for a beautiful flute by Hammy!
That sounds about right. I got a keyless from Eugene Lambe around 1983 for that amount. Just checked one of the old pricelists, keys were an extra 15 punt each.A full set of pipes, depending on the maker, was somewhere around 900 punt at the time. Mind you, it was a lot of money. I remember Breandán Breathnach giving out, had a conniption, as they used to say, when pipes reached the unthinkable price of 1000 punt. And the price of a pint reached 1 punt, around the same time. The end of things was nigh.
A shame the video of Peter Horan isn't on youtube also. RTE videos can't be downloaded for repeated viewing.
I was posting from my phone earlier but seemed to remember I had downloaded stuff from the RTE archive in the past. Checking from the desktop now, 'Video download helper' extension in Firefox downloads and saves Peter Horan without a bother.

Love that clip of the Kilfenora I linked above with Paddy 'Organ' Mullins on the flute, Tommy Peoples on the fiddle and towards the end a very, very young Miriam Collins waiting to go next with her concertina.
My brain hurts