Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copley?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SimpleWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love music, especially ITM. Beginner musician. Play tin whistle. "Own" a low whistle, flute, and fiddle. Hoping to learn all of them. My dream come true would be to learn uilleann pipes!

Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copley?

Post by SimpleWhistler »

I'm a beginner whistle player (about 3 years). I have a Tony Dixon flute/low whistle combo (TB022 I think) that I also enjoy playing. I'm wondering what suggestions you might have for a flute upgrade. I'm considering delrin flutes since I don't think I can justify one made from wood.

My questions are -

1) Will I notice much difference going from the Dixon to something like a Copley or Galeon?

2) I have pretty average size hands and don't have trouble reaching the holes on the Dixon. Does anyone have experience with the Galeon Firth Pond & Co flute? I was considering that over the Pratten due to the hole size.

3) I'm leaning toward the Galeon due to the fact I'm just a beginner and the price difference. It looks like there is quite a jump in price to a delrin Copley with a tuning slide. Possibly due to where they are made and the materials (silver tuning slide vs brass).

4) Do you recommend a flute with a tuning slide for a beginner?

5) Also, the delrin Copley looks like it could be a Pratten style? They appear to be a different design from their wood flutes but I'm not sure.

6) Last, can anyone share their experience with either the Galeon and the Copley delrin flutes?

Thanks in advance!
est
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Re: Beginner flute upgrade: Galeon or Copley?

Post by est »

I had a a Tony Dixon flute (replaceable head joint with a whistle, so probably same as yours). It was a good starter, IMHO, but it had very real limitations and after about 6 months I felt like I needed a bit more to keep moving forward.

I ended up with one of Geoffrey Ellis' Ebonite flutes https://www.ellisflutes.com/ before I got a second hand Morvan with 6 keys. I still play the ellis from time to time and like it. I sometimes think I might grab one with a tuning slide if they come up as available so I have something to take with me when I am going to be playing outside in the southern US heat.

The tuning slide is useful if you plan to play with other folks. If you are playing for yourself and don't expect to need to adjust your tuning to someone else, then it really isn't necessary. I've heard great things about copely, and suspect his flutes are probably better than the galeon, but there is likely a wait list for his stuff. If the price differential isn't unbearable and the wait time isn't too horrible, it may be worth the extra bit of cash. One thing I can say is I'm very glad I ended up with my Morvan flute and can't imagine not having it. So, spending the extra money for a quality instrument was well worth it to me.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Flute preference is such a subjective matter that it’s hard to say what you will prefer more than another.

I have no experience with the Galeón flutes, but the Copley should be a definite upgrade from the Dixon. Dixons are good instruments for having some tunes in the bathtub, but they aren’t of the same caliber as what you’re likely to get from most professional flutemakers.

Of the less expensive flutes out there, I really don’t think one can go wrong with a Baubet, personally. In my opinion they are simply good flutes, regardless of budget. Just throwing that out there as another maker who may be worth considering. He also offers very good delrin flutes at a fairly low price. I’m considering getting a second one in Eb soon.

Do keep in mind that if you go with a delrin flute instead of wood, it’s probably going to be a good bit more weighty than what you’re currently used to.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

You're going to experience a huge difference going to a Copley. Copley flutes are absolutely outstanding - and I say this as someone who also owns an Olwell and a Grinter. Copleys are top-class flutes.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

SimpleWhistler wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:45 pm 4) Do you recommend a flute with a tuning slide for a beginner?
Nice to look at and have, but something like a Copley Delrin works just as well without. I have rings but no tuning slide on mine, but you can save further by skipping the rings too.
5) Also, the delrin Copley looks like it could be a Pratten style? They appear to be a different design from their wood flutes but I'm not sure.
Inspired by Hawkes & Son rather than Pratten, so somewhat similar but best just think of it as a nice flute to play! Same as the wooden ones, although I think the barrels on the Delrin tuning-slide models are normally straight-sided rather than bulging because of the available Delrin stock size. And, if considering one with adjustable stopper, my wood Copley's also terminates in a nice finial where the Delrin has a simple cylinder.
6) Last, can anyone share their experience with either the Galeon and the Copley delrin flutes?
Haven't tried a Galeon, but agree that Copley flutes are top-class and not just good for the price.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have a copley delrin flute that I like a lot. At first I didn't--it was hard to get the "air" out of the tone. But as I've gotten a little better I've come to appreciate it more. It's quieter than my Olwell Pratten style and it feels different to play. The embouchure cut is a little smaller. The tone is darker maybe, and there's little more feeling of back pressure. I like it enough that I'm close to ordering a keyed delrin from Copely
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'd go with a Baubet or Copley. I've owned both, but ended up with an 8 keyed delrin Copley because Dave makes 8 keyed flutes whereas Francois doesn't. FWIW, Turlach Boylan told me the other day I get a "mighty tone" out of the Copley...he liked the sound a lot.

Eric
SimpleWhistler
Tell us something.: Love music, especially ITM. Beginner musician. Play tin whistle. "Own" a low whistle, flute, and fiddle. Hoping to learn all of them. My dream come true would be to learn uilleann pipes!

Post by SimpleWhistler »

Thank you all for you input. On the Copley, is the hole spacing reasonable for a person with average size hands? I understand he can make accommodations but I think I would prefer it without special modifications.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

My two cents...

Either of the flutes you mention is a step up from the Dixon. Copley makes very nice flutes at a good price (especially for the no rings/no slide model). I've had a couple of his flutes and have kept a keyed version and an F to keep on the desk for that moment of inspiration. I also have wooden flutes whose sound I like better but it took me years to find just the right ones. In the meantime, the Copleys were fine. If you are interested in a Copley, give Dave a call. He can (and will) spend time reviewing what his flutes are designed to do and how they might be tweaked somewhat to meet your needs. As you can tell, I'd give Copley a strong recommendation.

I've never seen or played a Galeon so I can't speak to them one way or another.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

SimpleWhistler wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am Thank you all for you input. On the Copley, is the hole spacing reasonable for a person with average size hands? I understand he can make accommodations but I think I would prefer it without special modifications.
I have bog standard, average hands and find the Copley really easy on my hands.

Eric
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

SimpleWhistler wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am Thank you all for you input. On the Copley, is the hole spacing reasonable for a person with average size hands? I understand he can make accommodations but I think I would prefer it without special modifications.
I gave up on a couple of flutes because of hand and wrist pain, but I didn't have any problem with the Copley I owned for a while (medium-sized holes, comfortable spacing).
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Rt. The Copley delrin is easy to finger, the delrin slide is all you will ever need, it has good volume and tone. It's spot on every which way. I skipped the rings. The totally delrin flute looks elegant.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

ChrisLaughlin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:05 pm You're going to experience a huge difference going to a Copley. Copley flutes are absolutely outstanding - and I say this as someone who also owns an Olwell and a Grinter. Copleys are top-class flutes.
What Chris said.

As for hole size and spacing: I have small hands and Copley flutes present no problem for me.
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

I absolutely adore my Copley 6 key. I think you will find Dave most easy to work with.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I would echo all that has been said about Copley flutes. Excellent choice. Can’t go wrong.